(8)

May 30th, Tuesday, 2023, 1.PM

"Good morning." Spencer sends in a message to Dante. He had literally just woken up to excessive honking from a street beside his parked car. Meanwhile Dante has gone and properly started his day a few hours ago. He had showered and had a cup of coffee to sit with at his breakfast bar. Dante was scribbling down some errands on a notepad when Spencer had texted him. Of course the message made him laugh. "Good morning? I assume you just woke up?"
"You'd be right then." Spencer replies with one hand while the other brushes his teeth just outside of his car. "Do you have any fun plans for today?" Dante asks, now completely distracted from his chore.
"I'll probably try to work. How about you?"
"It's my last day off till Friday. So probably going to do some chores." Dante had decided to work an extra day, Wednesday, this week so that he could afford to take Friday off for their date. After all a lot of his money was made at the end of the week. Though some sacrifices could be made for the convenience and fun of a Friday.
"Chores sound so fun."  That was clearly sarcasm.
"Having food to eat is fun, actually." Dante sent, feeling almost childish again with how much joy he had from texting Spencer regularly. "Last night was fun." Dante added.
"I'm glad it was." Spencer replies, but sees that Dante is sending another.
"And what you did was very sweet."
"What did I do?" Spencer asked, acting clueless.
"You know."
"I think so." Spencer smiled, giving a sigh as he lifted his head to look around the harsh reality of life around him. He wished he could spend all day just chatting. "I should probably start working before it's considerably not lunchtime anymore."
"That might be a good idea."
"I'll talk to you later?"

"Definitely." Dante replies, but Spencer doesn't. Spencer didn't often message anyone at length so this was slightly new to him. Though after a short while of not being able to get Spencer off his mind Dante adds, "Have something nice to eat before work too."
 Spencer was about to be driving but noticed another text from Dante. His thoughtfulness was nice but Spencer definitely wasn't thinking about eating. Maybe Dante's reminder would convince him to try. "I will." 
 Dante replies to the message with a heart.
 Suddenly the two are back to their lives. Spencer was spending his day driving around for work and Dante running errands.

    By evening Dante is still thinking about Spencer. However, Spencer was working quite literally all day. Maybe it was just Dante's day off that left him with so much time to waste today. He wanted to try and go to bed at a reasonable time tonight. So, he messaged first, "I hope working is going well."
"For a Tuesday it is." Spencer replies after a short while. Obviously not having a ton of time for texting between driving to and from.
"What exactly do you do for work?" Dante asks, wanting to talk to Spencer while lying in bed and waiting to be tired enough to sleep.
"I deliver food, sometimes groceries. But this isn't the only job I work."
"I guess I've never thought about it. Not owning a car and all, I don't think it's the job for me."
"Well a car definitely helps."
Spencer adds, "I plan on working at a concert this Saturday. Unfortunately being a part of the cleanup crew."
"That sounds like fun though." Dante replied optimistically.
"That's what everyone says. Until it's some chick singing sad songs and you still have to clean up vomit." Said Spencer, bearing the brutally honest truth.
"Well, that's not as fun."
"No, it's not all that bad. Sometimes the music is worth it, but it pays well. Especially for it being a one-time gig." After all Spencer was thankful for any opportunity to work.
"Must be nice having all these options."
"Keeps me on my feet." Spencer replies, but has to go to continue working.
"That's good. Hopefully you're not too hungry working around all that food."
 For a short while Dante waits for a reply or even a message read. After fifteen minutes he starts to feel pretty tired. He sets his phone down and tries to get some rest. Just a few minutes pass and one notification later and he's rolled over, glued to his phone again.
"Sorry, still working."
"That's okay. I'm probably going to go to sleep now."
"So soon?"
Spencer replied, as he was sad to see Dante have to go before he was done with work.
"It's 10. I think that's a reasonable time."
"I guess so. I'll be up a while." Spencer replies, but adds, "And I won't be hungry. I promise."
"If you say so."
"I do."

 Only a few minutes pass and Dante can't resist, "So what are you going to do tomorrow morning?"
"Aren't you supposed to be sleeping?"
"Probably."
"You're being too nice."
"So?"
"It's cute"
Spencer replies, but Dante doesn't in protest of his compliments. Spencer adds, "You should sleep. I'll message you in the morning."
"I doubt you'll be up when I am."
"We'll see. But you're stalling, I can tell." Spencer adds again, "Goodnight Dante."
"Mm, fine, goodnight."

 And Spencer reacts to his message with a heart. Just like Dante did to him earlier. Suddenly Dante can hardly sleep, but Spencer's busy with work. While his thoughts of Dante were fond and loving there was one thing he was still thinking more about after working tonight. That was, unfortunately, getting high. So while Dante was asleep Spencer finished his work around twelve an ended up back in his car and in a parking lot. Being alone was the reality he always came back to. Rather than sinking deeper into thought or trying to rationalize, it was just easier to give in. At least it made falling asleep easy.