(9)

June 14th, Wednesday, 2023, 7:30.PM

"Remind me again why I'm coming over specifically today." Said Spencer, driving through the busiest parts of town to make it to Dante's. He had just finished a day's worth of work. Meanwhile, Dante kept his phone to his ear, pressed against his shoulder, while also attempting to cook a meal, all throughout his response of, "Because we're going to have brunch tomorrow with my sister."
"Right.. But I could have met you guys there."

"I don't trust you to wake up early enough." Dante replied harshly but it was the truth. Spencer gave a shrug that Dante wouldn't see. "I mean, I'll take a sleepover any day."
"We're having dinner and waking up early for breakfast. Nothing crazy, Spencer."
"So, no-"
"Nope! I'll see you when you get here."
"Alright~ I was just joking."
"Uhuh."

     Soon Spencer came knocking and Dante was quick to answer. Would you be surprised if I told you Spencer was wearing jeans and a band tee? Probably not. While Dante was more comfortably wearing black joggers, a fitting, off-white tee, and some slippers. As well as sporting his usual curly hair after having his braids out a few days ago. Dante smiled seeing the same old Spencer and welcomed him in. "How was the traffic? I just finished dinner not too long ago."
"It wasn't so bad."
Then Spencer came in empty handed to Dante's clean home. The air was filled with the aroma of freshly grilled chicken, and alfredo. Though Dante was quick to notice Spencer didn't pack. "So, didn't bring anything in with you?"
"I guess I didn't think about it.."
Spencer answered, now shutting the door behind him and slipping his shoes off. Dante gave a questionable look but glanced over to his kitchen beside him. "I think you should probably bring some things up. After we eat though." Dante would've liked to see Spencer showered and dressed nicely, or at least in clean clothing, tomorrow when meeting his slightly judgmental sister for the first time. Spencer could briefly remember some of Dante's warnings of Dodie and agreed, "I will. I'll try to dress, uh, nice?" Spencer wasn't sure how nice someone needed to look for brunch. Dante gave a half-hearted 'eh' and carried on to the kitchen. "It's not that fancy. Best thing you can be is clean, awake, and.. Yourself." Dante reassured. Spencer gave a happy sigh to the thought and hoped he'd get along with Dante's family. Soon he was joining Dante in the kitchen.

"You didn't need to make all this just for me." Said Spencer upon seeing Dante's excellently cooked meal. Dante was too busy grabbing plates to argue, "It's called dinner, Spence. It's not that special." Dante loved to cook and especially so for guests. Sometimes Dante's tender loving and care felt overwhelming. Even if this was just providing a necessity that Spencer commonly ignored. Dinner every night wasn't a priority to him.
"Thanks." Spencer made his plate after Dante. To his gratitude Dante simply kissed Spencer's temple and replied, "You're welcome." before leading him to his balcony. With two plates set he went to fetch drinks. Spencer was awfully quiet sitting outside, enjoying the setting sun, thinking to himself about their plans for tomorrow. Soon Dante came back with cold waters, empty glasses and a bottle of wine. The sight made Spencer laugh a little, "Wouldn't be dinner without some wine, huh?"
"It's a bit of a bad habit. Definitely my dad's fault."
As Dante set out their glasses and filled them shallowly with red wine to go with their meal.
"Does your dad like to drink?"
"Whiskies, sure, but it's actually grandma that was big on the wine. It's probably a European thing."
"Hmm.. My mom is pretty Italian. Don't know if she ever gave much into it though."
Spencer was more curious now about Dante's family. Unfortunately for himself there wasn't anyone left but Leah, his mom. "Where are your parents from?"
 Dante settled into his seat across from Spencer before answering, "My mom was from New Orleans and moved to New York for college. My dad bounced around a few states but mostly stayed in New York." Dante didn't seem to mind sharing some details between their eating. Although he probably wouldn't pry Spencer to share since he knew Spencer sadly didn't have much to talk about. I suppose this was the first time they really got to talk about family together.
"So, they still live in New York. Do they do anything fun? I guess, more so for work."
"My Mom and Dad are both nurses."
"Oh, nurses. Sounds.. Fun?"
"Maybe for them but I couldn't imagine."
"What's their names?"
Spencer asked, now realizing he's never really heard much about Dante's parents other than 'they live in New York' and that summarizing the topic. Spencer's genuine curiosity and questioning made Dante smile. It made Dante feel like Spencer really cared about him. "My Mom's name is Daphne and my Dad's Joseph. Then it's just me and Dorothy. But you should call her Dodie."
"Dorothy and Daphne.. Those are pretty names." Spencer smiled, picking around his food, probably already feeling full.
"My Mom's side is pretty traditional. Dorothy was my grandma's name, actually."
"I mean, I have my someone or another's name as my middle name. My Mom would know."
"And it is?"
Dante asked, obviously. "Wilber.." Spencer replied begrudgingly. Definitely wasn't Dante's first guess. "Spencer.. Wilber Reeves?"
"Yep."
"And do you know my full name?"
"Dante Keon.. Uh.. Well, I know it."
"Sure you do."
"It's something like- oh, Murphy."
Spencer laughed at himself. He thought over that name a few times to himself. Murphy. Wouldn't that be a nice last name to have. Better than Reeves.

"So, I've been thinking." Said Dante to break the moment of silence. Boy was there a lot on his mind at the moment. Dante was getting a part of Spencer that no one had seen in years. The last few weeks of dates, phone calls, even the sleepovers.. It almost felt like something that Dante could no longer deny. Of course, the statement was enough to make Spencer's stomach flip. He immediately fell anxious but looked up from his meal to hear Dante out.
"We've been hanging out for almost a month now."
"Right. I know, the time's really gone by fast."
Spencer sat back in his chair and nervously pricked at his fingers under the table. His averting eyes were no help to Dante who was already struggling to make his point. "I um. I was just. Thinking."
"Yeah?"
"I guess I'm still thinking."
Dante hushed his stammering with a quiet but long sip of some wine. Spencer was being quiet on purpose. So, finally Dante spat something out, "That.. maybe.. we're kind of. Y'know."
"Hmm?"
"Are we dating?"

 Both Spencer and Dante seemed confused about their feelings and how to put them into words. Dante was ready to try and be in a relationship again. As hard as his last one was, this thing with Spencer felt real and special. It was something he didn't want to lose. Spencer definitely felt the same. Unfortunately, it was the untold that held him back from agreeing with Dante. The past, the substance abuse, himself- it all made a relationship seem impossible.
 The silence shared afterward only left a frown on Dante's face. He would've hoped for a clearer answer than this. Though Spencer's feet were restless and his hands peeled away at each other. The disappointment was felt in the air. He had to say something.
"I.. I want to talk to you about it."
"Oh."
Dante sat up in his seat upon raising his saddened gaze to find Spencer sat so nervously. He was expecting the obvious; a confession. Dante still struggled to believe that Spencer was an addict. Maybe it was apparent, but of what, he wasn't sure. He only hoped he could be enough for Spencer throughout the hardships of withdraw-
"I want to talk about us."
 I suppose this wasn't that type of confession. Dante lost some tension but he stayed just as concerned. He wanted to hear Spencer's side.
"I just. I want to be with you. Like, all the time, I want to be with you. I think about you a lot. But I also think about a lot in general. Sometimes.." It seemed like he wanted to talk but couldn't find the nerve to. The idea of loving Dante while still being so broken and burdening felt wrong.
"Spence." Dante said quietly, offering his hand over the table for Spencer to hold. He couldn't stand watching Spencer practically tremble with anxiety. It gave Spencer a moment to stop, breathe, and share his hand to Dante's.