DYSFUNCTION IS A FUNCTION

Addendum 8923-7:

This is- a scary discovery- Its connected to 682 now? This [EXPLICIT] thing keeps getting more bloody freaky. Can we not just chuck it out? Surely the Chaos Insurgency will like maul it? How is that immoral? Didn't that thin- [AGENT ██████ HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM PROJECT-8923, LOG TO BE TERMINATED]

The area was deafeningly silent.  If you've watched enough horror movies, or read enough stories, you'll probably understand the running theme of authors making scenes 'deafeningly silent' to build tension.

The phrase 'a deafening silence' is an oxymoron which demonstrates  the concept of something which makes no noise, being so loud it deafens the recipient. The eerie and unnerving atmosphere is solidified by the viewer's curiosity to know why the silence is so unbearable. Why the tension is so high.

It's a strong opening for stories. Yet personally, an overused one. Though there never really seems to be a fitting alternative.

Do you enjoy my rants?

I believe they set the tone for the following chapter, and hopefully get you thinking. Otherwise, they'd be useless wouldn't they?

Clinking of shoes echoed down the hall breaking the void of noise, the sun was slowly rising above the horizon. Yet the prisoners workers of the foundation would only have an indication of time by a clock, being boarded off from the outside world.

A sad reality really. Yet they were saving the world, right? Hah.

The lone doctor flashed their security card to the two stationed guards, then lowly spoke to them. The three men entered the cell, harsly closing the sturdy door behind them.

Groaning at the familiar situation, the subject curled up into a tight ball in the corner of their cell. Refusing to open their eyes. What a repetitive scenario.

A group of guards harshly grabbed them, then forcing them to wear a straight jacket. They felt like a insane person in the 1700's, especially with how tight they'd pulled the straps. One of the guards grabbed the collar of their jacket, violently pulling them to their feet. 8923 gave them a polite smile, still not of fully awoke from their slumber.

It ended up falling back asleep in the unnecessarily long process it took for the foundation to 'safely' transport Logically, it would be safest to transport 8923 to a controlled testing zone. Logically, it would be safest to transport an anomaly who worked in the way they did to a completely  deserted area, the African deserts for example, as it'd combat the possibility of a security breach.

But then again, that comes with its own risks right? Potentially, if the anomaly got loose in such a secluded place, it would have a lot higher chance of escaping to civilization. An EK-Class scenario was a very likely outcome, if worst came to worst it could trigger an XK-Class End-of-the-scenario.

EK-CLASS SCENARIO: Complete end of human consciences, brought about  by SCP-8923's true nature being exposed to every living thing and completely eradicating all humans ability to logically think.

So, trying to save humanity itself, they ran the risk of testing 8923 on-site. Now that I've explained the thought process, lets get on with the actual story.

It awoke for a second time that day after being thrown to the ground. Rolling around in annoyance, it could only really be compared to some abnormally large white caterpillar. A warning shot was fired near 8923, it begrudgingly sat still against the wall.

A singular D-Class entered the room. They seemed laid-back, uncaring. Their hair was cut into a mullet, though it'd grown out to be noticeably long, probably for the lack of hair dressers in the foundation.

"What are we actually testing?" one of the researchers asked another, a group of them stationed in a small room nearby, only listing in. It was important that nobody who had visual contact with 8923 was to know of the actual experiment. "How clinically insane people take the information. In each previous experiment, the D-Class have had at least some extent of mental stability, we believe if the subject is completely mentally insane, it may defect the anomalous effects of 8923."

(Please ignore how awkward this is, I needed to explain the experiment somehow).

8923 looked up at the D-Class inquisitively, "Oh? And what's your name?", "Harry." he replied, short and blunt. An awkward silence hung in the air, "What's your name?" "My names ████-"

Mass panic. Each researcher froze. Due to circumstances in place to prevent mass casualties, nobody realised their paralysed state, and 8923 and the singular D-Class were left in a room unsupervised.

The two were locked in a stare, both of them seemingly detaching from everything but the existence of each other. There was some kind of mutual understanding. "Enlightenment is scary." Harry broke the silence. "Yet not unwelcome as someone whose been seeking it for their entire life." 8923 smiled.

"Have you ever heard of the scientific experiment names the Pit of Despair ████? It was an experiment to learn the extent of how loneliness and depression could effect a person. They placed monkeys into a small, dark box. They deprived the monkeys of all interaction, only feeding and proving it with water. The monkeys kept in there for the longest period of time starved themselves to death. The other monkeys who were re-introduced into social settings did not interact with anyone, and commonly ignored their natural instincts. They forcefully impregnated a few female monkeys who had been in the pit of despair. One of the mothers smashed their child's head in, the others just simply ignored them, bringing upon their death. Do you ever feel as if you're in the pit of despair ████?"

Harry's head lolled down, brown hair now covering his eyes. He then proceeded to collapse. 8923 stood, walking over to his collapsed body. It calmly ripped the straight jacket at the seams, the knelt down to prop Harry against the wall and check his airways. The screwed up sod was one of the more pleasant people they'd met so far.

A smile graced it's face as 8923 walked out into the barren corridors. The two guards stationed next to the door panicked, frantically shouting over the radio something incoherent. 8923 simply smiled at them before grabbing both their wrists.

The flashing red lights left a lovely hue on it's face.

-

WOOOO RUSHED ENDING! SORRY! I just reeeeallly needed a chapter out, also massive apologies if this isn't up to my normal standards (plus, with the wait it's probably a slight disappointment) I've had a lot going on lately from my nana almost passing away and my mother almost losing custody of me- I've lost my touch with writing slightly BUT I am actively trying to get back into it :) just be patient with the quality please!

also breach arc wooo! I'm running out of plot ideas and the books barely started!