Chapter 7 - Path of Destiny

Qui-Gon Jinn

I wasn't expecting to be gone this long, even if should have been expected. Weeks have slowly faded into a month. I've been away from the twins for a long time now, and I can only hope that they're alright. I know it won't be easy for them, but Obi-Wan is there, and what I'm doing will help end the war in the long run. And hopefully, save them from the Sith.

I still don't fully know what to do. I need to get them away from everything and try teaching them what I've been learning from Dooku, but so long as the war is going on, that's impractical. At least Dooku and I have been working on our plans in the event Sidious succeeds in forming the Sith Empire, though. It's been much easier, now that I'm here to help him.

And he's been training me in the Dark Side. I'm not a Sith, to be sure, but... somewhere in between that and a Jedi. It's not as if what I am needs a name. I'm only doing what the Force is telling me to. More and more, I'm beginning to see what Dooku means about how the Jedi will never be able to last, not that that means I agree with outright destroying them, either.

It's late in the afternoon now, as the two of us finish our training session for the day in one of the private gardens on Serenno where we won't be interrupted. It's been... nice to be around him again, I have to admit. I missed him even if I haven't forgiven him for everything he's done.

That reminds me again, though, of something I've been wondering for a while. "What happened," I begin, cautiously, "When you left to find the Sith?"

Dooku's expression changes little – as usual – but I can feel the slight shift in his mood in the Force. "I briefly encountered Maul, if you remember him," Dooku replies. "He gave me pointers in the right direction, though at the time, he had no interest in doing anything against the Sith himself."

I nod, waiting for him to continue.

"I was trying to track down Plagueis and it worked," he continues, after a moment, "But they captured me."

I knew that. I still remember the least transmission Dooku was giving me, right before it cut off and the next time I heard from him, he was the leader of the Separatists.

"What happened?" I prompt, hesitantly.

He's silent for a pause, again. "They believed my skills to be useful," he answers, vaguely, "And I knew the only way to destroy them was if I agreed to join them."

There's a major part of the story missing here, I can tell that much, but I don't press for details. It's obviously something he doesn't want to talk about, and I can only imagine why. Was Falling not fully his choice? What did they do to him? I'm almost glad I'll never know the answer to that question.

"I would have come looking for you," I tell him, "But I didn't know where to start." And I'd had Aniya to take care of, so I could hardly take off to look for him, even if I wanted to.

"It's best that you didn't."

I hardly know how to feel about it. It doesn't change that he was willingly hurt the twins, but... He hasn't had the easiest time with the Sith, himself. I don't know what to think about that. I don't want to think about it.

"We still need to find Plagueis," I declare at last, switching topics entirely.

"He'll show up, once Sidious has his Empire," Dooku responds, "If we look for him, it will get us nowhere."

He's told me that repeatedly. I wish we didn't have to keep waiting for almost everything, but there is no other choice.

***

I knew the time for me to leave would be coming soon enough, but there's a small part of me that's almost disappointed when it does come. The Force is urging me again, that it's time to continue learning the secrets of the Force – and besides, Dooku and I have reached a point in our other work, that I don't have to be here, even if it would be easier.