Chapter 12 - Old Friends

Alema Syndulla

It's so hard sometimes, to look to the sky, knowing that our masters are still out there. Knowing that Anakin and Aniya are there, while Ahsoka and I are here. We're safe, but our friends are dying. The twins were like our parents. Even now that I know my real parents, that's never really changed. "I wish I could've been here in the battle," I remark one day. Something feels... different, as though something is about to change. I don't know what, but the Force is tensed oddly, almost rippling. "Anakin and Ahsoka were part of the space battle. Our masters usually worked together."

"Many of our people died there," Cham replies solemnly. He's a fighter, and he cares for his people, but right now, he's tired of fighting. I can understand why. So am I. I lost so much time, but I... can't imagine doing anything else. I constantly feel so restless now, craving for some sort of action.

"And I wish I could have been there to help you through it."

Then something prickles in the Force again, and I reach out, instantly feeling a presence that I haven't...

What are they doing here?!

I bolt upright, jumping to my feet, about to sprint out the door just as I hear footsteps and Hera darts in, Chopper rolling behind and beeping loudly. "Father," she calls in a rush, skidding to a stop. "There's a ship here – a Republic spaceship!"

I was right. "I'll check it out," I tell them, and take off.

The ship, truthfully, didn't land as close as she made it sound, but it doesn't take long for me to get there. They were trying not to cause a scene, but, well, clones. The ramp is already lowered when I arrive, pausing to catch my breath.

My heart skips a beat when they disembark. It can't be. Why would they have any reason to be here? If the war ended or if they needed our help, we should have heard on the holonews, right?! "Echo?" I ask. "Fives? What are you doing here?"

"We're on a special mission," Fives attempts to answer, and Echo shoves his way in front. I can't help remembering that Fives is a terrible liar.

"We could use your help, ma'am," Echo begins, "We found some information, and it implies some sort of corruption all the way at the top. We're being hunted by the Republic, and you're the only people we knew we could turn to."

Blood turns to ice in my veins. "What?" I breathe. "What happened. Actually – I'll get Ahsoka. We better listen to this together."

"Also," Fives adds, "We have Ventress with us. It, uh – it was an accident, but she's willing to help because she knew you."

Odd, but in the circumstances, we'll take all the help we can get. "Yeah," I reply, "I'll be right back. We better have this discussion privately." It could be dangerous, and it's best if no one else is involved in it. Ahsoka is as surprised as I am to hear, but she seems happy. She worked closely with the two of them. We seat ourselves outside their ship (which I highly suspect they stole or something), Ventress sitting almost lazily a distance away. I'm grateful for the distance. She may have helped us, but I don't trust her at all.

"It started on the battle of Anaxus," Echo explains. "It was a hard battle already, but then Tup seemed to lose his mind. He turned on one of the Jedi working with us and killed her."

It takes everything I have not to interrupt, just letting the brothers continue their story. I have no idea how this is possible. "The Separatists tried to prevent us from returning him to Kamino," Fives continues. "We immediately suspected their involvement. The Generals were occupied with the battle, but I accompanied Tup back to Kamino. To cut it short, the long necks were trying to stop me from doing what I had to, to get answers. Tup died, but the medical droid and I determined that his inhibitor chip malfunctioned."