[1.7]

Alan was the first to reach Vikander Mansion upon Romilda's invitation. 

He had to cross the owl sanctuaries in order to step up to the gate and he saw that the owls had drawn closer to see who was crossing through. But seeing it was him, they retreated as if certain that he was no threat.

After all, it wasn't his first time visiting the Vikander Mansion. But it was definitely his first time visiting after Alastair's death and that too in the absence of Cassius Vikander.

It had struck him as slightly odd when Christopher had approached him with the invitation but had also added that Romilda did not want Cassius to know about it. For him, Christopher was one of Cassius' men too and if he knew anything, there was no way for the eldest Vikander not to find out.

Until or unless he had chosen to side with Romilda. And if that was the case then Alan had to admit that the woman was strong enough to have decided not to back off in front of Cassius' intimidation.

A table for three was set in Alastair's study where he was brought by Christopher Hendricks. He took the seat and looked at the clock, waiting for Henry to arrive as well.

After Romilda's invitation, Henry had contacted him to ask what he thought about it so Alan had told him that they should hear her out, for old time's sake. They knew if Cassius found out that she had tried to meet them, it would result in unpleasant consequences and that was initially why the two of them had not approached her by themselves.

Back at the university, they had been good friends with Romilda but after she got married to Alastair, the only times they saw her was when she accompanied him to the socialite gatherings. But she had seemed happy, in fact, more than happy with her life as Alastair's wife.

And so Alan and Henry had not interacted with her as a friend anymore but as their best friend's wife. There had come a barrier of respect between them.

After Alastair's death, that barrier should have strengthened for now she was their best friend's widow.

The door to the study opened and he stood up from the seat, seeing that Romilda had stepped in. She was accompanied by a woman but as Alan extended his hand towards her, she took it, dismissing the woman.

"Thank you," she remarked as he had pulled out her chair for her and helped her in, "and I am grateful you took the time to visit me."

Before he could answer, the door opened again and Henry stepped in, "apologies, I am late."

"Not at all, please take a seat."

Her voice was calm but Alan could see that it was taking all the strength from her to keep herself composed. Seeing her had sent him into a shock at first because she had gotten so pale and weak, a lot different from how he had last seen her.

And instinctively, he was worried about whether she was doing alright or not.

"I hope you have been well," he spoke up at last after considering his words.

"I am much better than before," she nodded, "though it would be an overstatement that I would ever be well after Alastair."

"I'm sorry, I didn't..."

"Please don't apologize," she shook her head, placing forward a file that she had brought along with her, "and I know you two think that considering my status as Alastair's widow, you have to be formal and respectful toward me but I would actually prefer if you don't. I would like to talk to you two like we did in the past. As friends."

Henry and Alan exchanged a glance and the former nodded, "however you are comfortable."

"Henry. Alan. I am very very grateful that you two accepted my request," she spoke up, "you two have been Alastair's closest friends and I need your help. Though I am not certain whether you would want to..."