[5.10]

Considering Lavina's current unstable state, Bruce had brought her along with him to Wayne Manor. He hadn't told his mother anything about their engagement being called off so Martha had eagerly accepted Lavina into their home, although she was very worried for her declining state.

A few days had passed since then and though Lavina had been very unstable at first, slowly she was starting to recover with all the attention and care the Waynes showed her. Deep down, she still felt guilty for putting them through so much but Bruce had refused to hear any protests.

Lavina hardly came out of the room she had been staying in at Wayne Manor. The only few exceptions were when Martha took her to the garden or to the living room but mostly, she refused on going out.

Bruce kept his distance but made sure to check up on her regularly. And the fact that he was so concerned and caring towards her made her feel twice more guilty.

The only other visitor she had was Lauren Hoult, the psychiatrist who came to see her on alternate days at first but as she had started to get better, the gap between those visits increased. Lavina had not told Lauren anything about her past or present directly but the woman was clever enough to figure out that Lavina was entangled in far deadlier webs than it could be deemed appropriate to share with anyone else.

That evening though Samantha had come to visit, asking from her when she would be coming back to her house and the Court. Lavina knew some day or other she would have to leave.

But Samantha's visit and her show of affection towards Lavina in front of Bruce had made everything difficult. She had created a situation that Lavina truly didn't want to face yet knew she couldn't escape from either. 

The only way out was to leave Wayne Manor then and there because if she stayed any longer, it would only steer her into deeper trouble.

Bruce and his family had only ever been kind to her and she could not bring herself to leave without a word as it would be a cowardly escape from the reality she should have faced years ago. So even if she had decided to leave and knew Bruce would stop her if she told him, she still went to his study.

The door that he had slammed shut hours ago upon witnessing Samantha's little act of affection towards Lavina hadn't budged open since. And Lavina knew that Bruce was already disturbed due to something or else he wouldn't have reacted so abruptly.

She hesitated to knock upon the door but thinking about the guilt of leaving without an explanation again made her relent. Two light knocks later, Bruce replied, "come in."

She noticed that his voice sounded strained, perhaps he had still not returned to his usual calm mood.

However, she pushed open the door and stepped in, eyes meeting his tired pale blue. He had retrieved his gaze immediately but his jaw had clenched, indicating that the main reason for his terrible mood was none other than Lavina herself.

Silence gripped them yet Bruce ignored her, focusing on the files he had spread out on his desk. Lavina closed the door behind her and stepped closer but there was no change in Bruce's demeanor.

Hands gripping the chair in front of him and dark eyes fixed on him unwaveringly, she waited.

At last, he gave up and his eyes met her gaze albeit reluctantly, "why are you here?"

"To tell you that I'm leaving."

"To go to Miss Vanaver's place?" His cold words snapped at her and she could easily sense the trace of jealousy in that tone.

Of course, he was irked about Samantha.

"No, I have to go home," she replied, "I don't want to keep burdening you further."