Chapter 1

Hello! :)

Enjoy!

(Jaicous is pronounced Jay-cuss!)

All rights reserved.

Chapter One

Something was different.

Jaicous sensed it early that morning, as soon as he grudgingly set his foot across the threshold of his small, dusty room above the local tavern that he managed to rent with the small fortune he made. He received more than most who worked for the King, but it wasn't enough to rent anywhere decent.

He didn't know what was wrong, but it was something in the air. He couldn't put his finger on the source of the tingling feeling on the back of his neck and it was irritating him to no end. He had always had better instincts than everybody else, a better sense of his surroundings. Perhaps he had been cursed as a child or rather, gifted. He did not often question the fact that his human senses were by far advanced than others around him. It seemed pointless to question that which helped him.

The sunlight beamed in from the window in the hall, effectively blinding his squinting eyes as he stumbled down the hall, a contained temper demanding to surface like every morning yet he kept his mouth clapped shut for it was not wise to insult the commoners he lived near less they slit his throat as he slept. He would not put it past them to do so.

He grumbled under his breath, cursing everything and everyone as he lifted a hand to shield his eyes from the glaring sun. It was snowing too, by the looks of the icicles gleaming and clinging to the window and the faint pale snowflakes steadily floating down to the ground. The snow did little to block out the sun and Jaicous took a deep a beath trying to savour the few moments indoors for soon he would face the cold winter's breath.

He shook his head to stop himself from pausing for he would never leave the warmth to do his duties if he did but falter in his steps. He dragged himself down the creaking staircase and silently past the downstairs tavern. The tavern was quiet, which was not unusual for the morn. Though men still crowded the tables enjoying a quiet drink, or still passed out from a late night of festivities. Jaicous crept passed as silent as possible in his own recovering state. He was not sure if he had offended anybody last night, too intoxicated to remember and any man in the tavern could have been lying in wait for revenge. It had happened many times before.

He almost made it out of the pitiful Inn he called home and into the Kingdom's market of Kings Square, almost made it to safety until a hand clamped down onto his shoulder and spun him around and held him firmly at arms length.

"Jaicous...you...last night?" Eiamus, an aquaintance of his, not someone he would go as far as calling friend stood in front of him looking rougher than he usually did. There was stubble on his face so he had not been home and his brown hair was ruffled. His tall form slouched as if he could not hold his own weight and his eyes were blood shot. No sleep either, then. Such hope Jaicous held for the mighty Royal Guards that guarded Aishion.

He rather looked like Jaicous this morning. They had spent the night together then...Jaicous supposed. He'd spent the night with someone and if Eiamus was hanging around the tavern it had probably been him.  

He sighed, no energy to deal with his... what were they? On and off lovers? And definitely not in the emotional sense.

"What?" Jaicous grumbled back. Eiamus wasn't making sense, and too drunk to contemplate his answer either. Jaicous thought about leaving him there. He probably wouldn't realise he'd gone either, the daft man.