Chapter 11

A/N: Two updates within the space of seven days! :O (I am literally on fire) I hope you all had a good Christmas! Please comment! :D

Chapter 11

"You could have killed yourself!" Raphion shouted.

Chapter 11

Bemused, and quite drunk with hilarity, Jaicous scrambled for balance on the damp grassy surface, but his feet slipped from under him, the morning's downfall denying him purchase.

"Give it a rest Raphion," he replied, and felt the strain in his back acquire a brand new bruise to add to his growing collection. I am too tired for this, he thought, and breathed out a long heavy sigh. He wanted to drop his head into his hand and ignore the prince, for all the good an argument would do. Their relationship was already stretched to its limit, the strain between them already extremely problematic, causing unnecessary tension for the both of them. Just once, I would like to end my night in peace.

"Jaicous," Raphion practically growled out, a low guttural sound from the back of his throat. Jaicous pictured a wolf stalking its dinner and realised how similar his circumstances fell in line with the prey. Appropriately, Jaicous froze. He had never paused at Raphion's rage before. Never given him the satisfaction. He'd known all along that to do so would cause consequences, and he knew too well the perils of responding meekly; he would be caught like a rabbit and stewed for supper. And yet, he gave pause, with rain water chilling his body and the night skies' gentle wind brushing against his cheeks, to look up at the Prince and stare. He knew this time not to enrage Raphion further. For some reason, Raphion thought he was right, but Jaicous did not recall any danger that permitted Raphion's reaction.

Beside him, his new acquaintance Olie fidgeted, unsure what to do with himself.

"I thought y'name was Kai," Olie whispered out the corner of his mouth, almost inaudibly.

Despite his best efforts, Raphion heard. Jaicous wondered if he should intervene, but Raphion swung his fury to Olie before he could.

"You," he barked, and waved his sword brashly, pushing it aggressively in Olie's face, "be gone. This does not concern you. If you speak one word of this I will personally see your tongue removed. Go."

Olie stumbled off exceptionally well, in one respect – like the ideal solider, he obeyed his Prince's every whim, albeit his face a shade of grey and his legs trembling as he fought to save himself from collateral damage. No such luck had Jaicous. He felt a little bit betrayed, staring at the ranger's traitor backside disappearing into one of the smaller tents, but he couldn't fault anyone's need to run from Raphion, not when he felt the same way.

"You didn't need to do that. He wouldn't have said anything," Jaicous said, matter-of-factly.

"I see. You're friends now, are you? You think one shared drink means he won't poison you if he gets the chance? If I knew you were going to endanger your life, I would not have granted you your freedom," Raphion said and sheaved his sword, apparently finished with intimidating now their spectator had vanished. Was his menace an act?

Jaicous threw his hands up, exasperated. "You'll have to make this clear, what are you talking about?"

"You have always been naïve," Raphion said, in a way which made Jaicous think he knew something he wasn't sharing. He stalked past Jaicous to the edge of the fire and hoisted up the remains of the smashed mug with his foot. "How do you know this wasn't swimming in poison?" he asked, and flicked it into the fire where it shined as the flames engulfed it and began to melt.