Hersey's kisses and New Year's wishes

Another long year was over and a new one was just about to begin.

It was New Year's Eve. What a happy day to be alive.

But was it though?
Neither Ross nor Rachel thought so. At least not at this every moment.

Ross was currently standing on the balcony, not caring about the party that was taking place inside his sister's apartment. With a drink in his hand, Ross pondered what he was grateful for.

He had a secured job that he loved.
He was going to be a father to a healthy little boy and he had a wonderful family and friends that he loved dearly. But despite all the wonderful things, Ross still felt like something was missing.

Inside the apartment, Rachel herself was devastated. She was sitting on the couch with an ice pack pressed against her bruised eye, thinking about her 'oh so perfect little boyfriend' who had missed his flight back to New York.

What a jerk....

Rachel felt embarrassed by how she had acted leading up to this particular day, and how she had bragged about him and their 'perfect' relationship.

The day that she wanted to be the best day of her year, was now instead the worst day of her year.

......

"Can I join you?"

Ross turned his head when he heard a voice behind him.

"Of course," he answered with a smile as he watched Rachel climbing out of the window.

"How are you holding up?" Ross asked.

"Oh, I've been better," Rachel answered with a small laugh. "Things haven't really turned out the way I thought they would... I mean, look at me! I know Monica tried to cover up the bruising but... "

"Hey, no. I think you look beautiful," Ross interrupted and grabbed Rachel by the shoulders. "In fact, I think you are the most beautiful person here tonight," he then added.

"Thank you," Rachel whispered and looked down at her feet.

She then quickly looked up again and began to smile when she noticed how Ross' cheeks had darkened into a red colour.

He looked adorable.

Rachel's eyes roamed over his face.
The light from inside the apartment made his eyes twinkle like stars in the dark sky. They were sparkling, outshining the ocean of stars above them.

A tingling feeling started to grow in her stomach. 

Weird....
That was new.

Silence lingered between the two of them, neither of them knowing what to say next.
The silence wasn't awkward, but it wasn't a comfortable one either.

"What are you thinking about?" Rachel found herself asking after a few seconds. Her voice was soft, her warm breath mixed with the ice-cold winter air.

Ross turned his head away from her, afraid of the thoughts that were roaming in his head.
Afraid to tell her about his feelings.

"Nah, it's nothing," Ross said back, brushing it off like it was nothing. But the truth was that it was everything. His insides were screaming at him to admit his inner thoughts.

"No, come on. Tell me!" Rachel insisted and gently grabbed Ross's hand, forcing him to face her.

Ross looked at her, his eyes roaming over her face. She truly was the most beautiful person on the planet.

She has always been beautiful, ever since she was a little girl.

"I'm thinking about if I have to settle for a Hersey's kiss tonight just like I did every year when I was younger, or if...." Ross stopped when he noticed a sudden shift in Rachel's eyes.