The little blessings of love

It was a cold evening in New York. Frost spikes hang off window sills and fluffy snowflakes were dancing their way down from the sky. The winter's last snow was covering all land, making the city once again look like a winter wonderland.

The sound of Rachel's heels could be heard as she strode home on the light-filled streets. She had spent the afternoon shopping for the last birthday presents for her youngest daughter. Shopping for presents was one of her favourite things to do, especially when the presents were for the people she loved most. She could already picture her daughter's eyes lighting up at the sight of them. A smile spread across her face and butterflies filled her stomach at the thought of it.

A cold breeze suddenly swirled through the chilly air and Rachel quickened her steps, wanting to come home to her family as fast as possible.

.....

Rachel was standing by the door to the apartment and she was immediately hit by the scent of freshly baked cookies when she opened the door. Sounds of laughter were coming from the kitchen, making a smile form on her lips.

"You look so silly, daddy," Rachel heard one of her daughters laugh from inside the kitchen.

Rachel took off her coat and heels, grabbed her bags of birthday presents and tip-toed into the bedroom she shared with her husband. She carefully hid the presents in the closet before she joined her family in the kitchen.

"Mommy! You're home!" Came an excited squeal when Rachel made her appearance in the kitchen.

"Mommy, mommy! We are making cookies! Here, taste one!"

Rachel hadn't fully made it into the kitchen before she was attacked by her youngest daughter's greasy little hands, and was forced a cookie into her mouth.

"Wow, those tastes amazing, sweetie," Rachel said with a mouth full, and hugged her daughter.

"They are chocolate-ship cookies, my favourite," Emma said with a proud smile on her face as she walked to her mother and gave her a big hug.

"And mine! And mine!" Ella sang excitingly as she jumped in her place. Rachel let out an amused laugh and gently brushed her hand over her oldest daughter's head.

"We are going to watch Finding Nemo and eat cookies. We made two types of cookies, chocolate-ship and browned-buttered ones for us to eat tonight!" Emma beamed at her mother. Pride was shining in her eyes.

"It sounds like you guys have planned the whole evening," Rachel said with an amused smile lingering on her lips. She kissed her daughter on the head and looked over at her husband. She let out a chuckle as her eyes roamed over his face.

"And don't you look very handsome," Rachel said with a playful smile. "It looks like you have had a lot of fun."

Ross looked down as his cheeks grew hot. Rachel smiled, as her eyes focused on her husband. She knew how much he enjoyed spending time with their daughters.

"It's my birthday tomorrow, mommy! It's the best time of the year!" Ella sang as she began to dance around the kitchen.
"Happy birthday to me!" she then squealed and grabbed her big sister's hands. Both Ross and Rachel laughed as they watched their daughters dance around the kitchen with big smiles lingering on their lips.

Ross then walked over to Rachel and smiled shyly at her. Rachel smiled back, her heart bursting with joy as warms flushed her cheeks.

"Hi," he whispered as he warped his arms around her waist and pulled her toward his body. He placed a gentle kiss on her cheek and looked into the blue eyes he had fallen in love with when he was a young boy.