Casey & Izzie

sorry this is so spaced out i can't be bothered fixing it lol

Izzie noticed it, noticed it more than anything. The little touches here and there, a nudge or a hold. When they were alone, and when they were in a room full of people, it was just how Casey acted.

And it drove Izzie nuts.

--

Movie night, the track team's bimonthly event completed with an array of snacks, half of which would end up crushed into the carpet.

Casey and Izzie were seated at the back, both squished onto a bean bag Izzie had brought from her dorm room, a bag of popcorn resting by their feet. They paid attention to Alice as she introduced the film, Australia, and Casey sighed playfully at the mention of Nicole Kidman.

The lights flickered off, plunging them into a slight darkness before the movie started. Izzie knew the proximity between her and Casey was close to nought, but it was soon reduced even further. Casey leaned down to grab a handful of popcorn, before coming back up and consequently lifting an arm over Izzie's shoulders.

Whether it was for comfort purposes or otherwise, Izzie didn't know. What she did know was how her heartbeat increased twofold, and so did the fear that Casey would hear it. Her fingers brushed against the skin of her arm, and Izzie felt herself settling into the embrace. Her head moved to tuck under Casey's chin, and their entire bodies were pressed together.

As a result, Izzie found herself distracted, unsure of the plot and soon she felt herself drifting to sleep. Too content in Casey's hold to try and force her eyes open, so she let them shut, and her breathing evened out.

It wasn't unusual for the two to act like this, and so no one brought it up. Even when the credits rolled and Izzie jolted awake at the sudden brightness, no one battled an eyelid. She stretched out her limbs, the motion limited as Casey's arm still rested around her shoulders.

"Hey sleepyhead."

Izzie responded to Casey's smirk with a sheepish expression, turning it into a yawn. Neither of them moved until the teasing began from their Captain, and Casey pulled away. It was something along the lines of 'Lovebirds' that caused the contact to break, until Casey offered Izzie a hand to help her to her feet.

"We should go to bed, it's late."

Izzie nodded, ignoring her mind's protests. She wanted Casey against her, not a millimetre between them, but she pushed the thought away and let herself be led from the room. The rest of the girls called out a goodbye, and Izzie replied with a small wave before she disappeared out of sight.

Casey held her hand the entire way back to her dorm, it was torture.

--

God, midterms.

With Midterms came exams, and with exams came Izzie's attempt at distracting herself from any form of studying.

This distraction came from Casey's touch.

Izzie's head rested in Casey's lap, a pen twisting between her fingers as she stared at the half empty page of her notebook. She looked up at the girl above her, lip caught between her teeth in concentration and Izzie failed to notice the drop of Casey's hand, falling on the locks of her hair.

Casey let her fingers brush through, untangling the knots and letting her nails drag across Izzie's scalp. The movement made her tense for a split second, before Izzie relaxed, almost too much.

She knew any attempt at work now would end in failure, so she pushed the notebook off her bent legs and let out a huff. Casey took it as frustration, rather than the actual thing Izzie was feeling.