Notes

Guess who's back

~~

Steve rushes out of class with a note in hand, a dare. He's dared by Tommy to write secret admirer notes to Jonathan, the weird kid, as a prank. Steve had protested against the idea; "playing with his feelings is kind of a dick thing to do", Tommy only rolled his eyes, so Steve shut his trap and is now playing along.

So now, Steve is slipping a note with messy handwriting into Jonathan's locker. It has a simple message, your eyes are pretty, he doesn't sign it with your secret admirer. The words are a last minute thought that was scribbled down at the first mental image. Steve thinks that he could have put more effort into it; make it more believable, but it just means that he'll get more detailed as the letters go on.

There really is no goal in this cruel prank, just for shits and giggles—hurting someone emotionally. Steve had never really even noticed Jonathan before this whole 'great idea' came into Tommy's messed up mind. Jonathan was only ever mentioned or talked to by them whenever they (Tommy and Carol) picked on him.

The bell rings and students come pouring out of the classrooms to put their things in their lockers, heading for lunch afterwards. Steve quickly pushes the slip of paper in the rest of the way before merging into the sea of students. Now, all they have to do is wait. Wait for a reaction, though there might not be one.

~~

Steve misses Jonathan opening the first letter, but Tommy and Carol tell him all about it. What his reaction was, wasn't really what they were hoping for, but what do you expect?

Tommy sighs, "It was lame. All he did was roll his eyes and stuff it into his pocket!"

"Yeah! You'd think that he'd be excited at the thought of someone loving him," Carol huffs and hugs Tommy's arm. Steve glares at her for the comment.

"What'd you write in it, anyways?"

"Something simple. Your eyes are pretty," Steve answers, looking down at his food.

"Really? No wonder why he had no spark of emotion at it," Carol says grinning widely.

"I don't think he has any either way," Tommy murmurs, Steve kicked his leg.

"I was just starting out with what seems like nothing, then it'll build up to something that would make him hopeful."

"Great idea!" Tommy's encouragement makes Steve regret his decision to even agree to this.

~~

The second note isn't much like the first. The second is a normal, but not stalker-ish description of how Jonathan looks to Steve.

I'm not who'd you expect, you probably think I don't even know you exist. I just can't stop looking at you, your passion for photography, your gorgeous chestnut eyes that glow when you find a good scenery. I love everything about you.

Okay, so maybe Steve had to examine Jonathan so his notes could be accurate. And maybe they are a bit stalker-ish, but this is all just a prank, right?

~~

Steve is near Jonathan's locker, alone, when he reads the second note. This reaction is different from the first one that Tommy and Carol described to him. Steve can see Jonathan's eyes flick over the slightly messy letters, they look curious, like they're silently asking questions. His hair flops off of his forehead to dangle in the air as he looks down, it's a pretty colour. There's a pink tint to Jonathan's cheeks, he lifts his head up to look around, Steve takes his queue to leave.

During lunch, Steve lies to Tommy and Carol about Jonathan.

"So, what'd he do?" Tommy asks eagerly, taking a bite of his food.

"He, uh— he read it, then looked around. I wasn't really paying much attention."

"Dammit! This is no fun. If he doesn't do anything about these notes, then this is all pointless!" Carol grumbles, she's hanging off of Tommy's arm, like always.

Steve thinks about not writing the notes anymore, it wouldn't make any sense. He can't just stop two notes in as a secret admirer, then Jonathan would know it's a prank. Not that Tommy and Carol would care if he found out or not, he probably wouldn't do anything.

"Do you want me to stop writing them then?"

"I don't give a shit, he's not capable of loving anything, I don't see a point in continuing. But you do whatever the hell you want, I guess," Tommy says with a sigh.

"Alright."

~~

Third note in, and it's not against Steve's will anymore. He just doesn't want to be a shitty secret admirer whether it's fake or not, that's all. He took the time out of his day to study Jonathan, in school of course, he doesn't want to be a stalker.

I saw you pick up your brother from school yesterday. You must love him so much, I hope you can love me just as much.

I'm not a stalker, I just really like looking at you. When you read my second note, your cheeks went pink and you tried to find me, it was adorable. When your hair fell from its usual spot on your forehead to the ends just barely grazing the paper, I realized how beautiful it is. You're also beautiful, in case nobody has told you today.

I saw you taking some pictures during lunch break. You looked so peaceful, I would've gone up to you but I didn't want to disturb you. I hope you got some good pictures. I love you so much.

Steve had spent the whole school day watching Jonathan whenever he could, examining his behaviour and what he likes and dislikes. His passion is photography, obviously. But he also enjoys bands like The Clash and The Smiths. Steve has also found that Jonathan likes to put himself in danger just to get a good picture. Once he found him leaning over the roof of the school to get a picture of the sky with the American flag in it.

Jonathan doesn't like ketchup or any condiments, he often tends to push them to the side when he's given them or just refuses the offer to take them. Maybe Steve has been seeing him outside of school more than usual, it definitely isn't intentional.

~~

You probably hate me in real life.

The way that you constantly move your left hand in English is cute, you're always tapping it on something or cracking your knuckles. Sometimes you spin a pencil in your hand, I don't know if you notice, but I do.

My friends think that these notes are pointless, but I just enjoy writing about you. I don't care if you ever find out who I am (I do), I'm only here to admire you.

But without your love
I won't make it through

I love you so much.

Steve watches Jonathan read the fourth note, he has a small smile on his face by the end, probably from The Clash lyrics. There hasn't been much reaction from the notes, but they still make Steve's heart go faster and a lump form in his throat.

Jonathan's nose scrunches up when he smiles, it's an adorable feature that he probably doesn't even know that he has. In all honesty, Steve has started writing multiple drafts of his notes, then picking one to continue and improve. It's actually helped his English grade out a lot.

He thinks about talking to Jonathan, it would've been easier before the prank, but now it scares Steve. He's fallen for him over the span of a week, Steve is suddenly grateful for his shitty friends' idea, no matter how messed up the initial thought was. Steve would try to make conversation with Jonathan, he'll just stick to notes for now.

WC: 1306