𝟏𝟏|𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐖𝐞 𝐒𝐞𝐞

《𝐒𝐄𝐓𝐇 𝐘𝐎𝐎𝐍》

𝐄𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧⊰᯽⊱┈──("𝑀𝑖𝑐𝒉𝑒𝑙𝑙𝑒, 𝑀𝑖𝑐𝒉𝑒𝑙𝑙𝑒, 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑎 𝑚𝑜𝑛𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑓𝑟𝑜𝑚 𝒉𝑒𝑙𝑙.")

cw; implied bullying, homophobia, implied transphobia.

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊ ¤ ❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

Wheatley Highschool, Manhattan, January 13th, 2007

── ✦𝐈𝐅 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐖𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐇𝐀𝐕𝐄  told Seth Yoon that morning that he was going to end up fighting monsters to save his life, he would have quite literally laughed in your face and told you that he already did that on a daily basis.

For most of his life, Seth had only known the metaphorical monsters. The kids and adults he lived with, his English teacher from seventh grade who had to be the most racist person he'd ever met, Ged Ripley, the so-deep-in-the-closet prick who kissed him behind the bleachers during the Winter Formal in eighth grade, punched him and then proceeded to put a target on his back by telling the whole school that Seth tried to come onto him when it really was the other way around, whoever it was that killed his dad, and now the many, many bullies in his highschool.

Don't be mistaken, Seth was in no way defenceless. He knew how to fight, almost as if it was something in his blood, so of course he fought back when they came for him. He always did.

His first and only semester in Wheatley High was a mess; regular trips to the principal's office, as he smiled at the man behind the desk trying to reprimand him for his unruly behaviour, because he was the one who started the fights, he was the one who started the provocations, he was the one at fault, because who wouldn't believe that Seth Yoon, the boy who already dyed his hair twice since the begin of the semester and painted his nails black and pierced his ears and wore a choker around his neck and never paid attention in class and didn't have a respectful bone in his body and looked at you like you were the stupidest little thing he'd come across—

Who wouldn't believe that he was the one at fault for the constant, violent fights?

He wore the consequences of the fights proudly in spite of everything, his bloodstained teeth, his brusied and bloody knuckles, his black eyes, his busted lips. He wore them proudly, even as Sister Andrea burst into the office, shrieking at him like the banshee that she was, cursing him, spitting 'You are the Devil's child!' at him like she thought it would cut him any deeper than the first few thousands times she'd already said those stupid words.

Seth had learnt from an early age that monsters aren't the things under your bed or in your closet, they are the people you see everyday, the ones who smile at you, laugh with you, cry with you when at the end of the day they would sooner leave you dead in a ditch if you did something they felt that they didn't like.

So, you see, Seth had been fighting monsters nearly his entire life, but those were the metaphorical ones, you know. Until they weren't.

He thought he'd learnt his lesson about hiding in dark alleys when in trouble, because the last time he did it, a strange lady appeared out of nowhere and told him a bunch of things he couldn't understand, and then a few minutes later after she disappeared, he was caught by the fuckers baying for his blood. But with the way he was heading straight into one, Seth clearly hadn’t learnt a damn thing.

You're probably confused, right? So, let's start from the beginning, a few hours earlier into the evening, when he'd thrown a book at Sister Andrea's head in her office.