the case: discussion one

"Have you ever read the Unfeasible series?” 

“I thought you called me in to discuss a public affair’s case?” Aizawa countered, squinting his eyes at the detective before him. He was lounging in one of Tsukauchi’s lounge chairs--a new addition to his office. After noticing Tsukauchi practically lived inside his work office, the higher ups had decided to treat the exhausted detective with allowing him to expand his workspace, making it more livable. Hence the addition of a couch, lounge chairs, a long wooden table, a couple bookshelves and more filing cabinets. 

Tsukauchi strummed his fingers across the arm of his chair, the texture oddly comforting as it scraped against the pads of his fingers. He hummed to himself before answering. “It was a really odd case, Aizawa. I’m usually not called up for cases on the basis of public concern.” A moment passed where Aizawa took a moment to sip his coffee, analyzing his friend, and oftentimes, coworker. Tsukauchi remained looking forward, in the direction of the smallest bookcase in the room--one strictly designated for storing his personal bookish interests. “Have you at least heard of the series?” He pressed, lips in a thin line. 

Sighing, Aizawa glanced at the detective before looking down at his mug. “The series that popped up a few years ago and has risen in popularity ever since.” Aizawa grumbled, not too keen on the talk of reading materials. 

“It’s a bestseller now. Universally known--translated in over fifteen different languages. It is especially popular with teenagers and young adults.” Tsukauchi blinked, ripping his gaze away from the bookcase and turning his body to face the tired man next to him. “Do you know what the series is about? What the meaning is--its purpose?” 

Aizawa shifted in his seat, not quite comfortable with the seemingly random conversation. “Excuse my lack of time to sit back and read.” He said, attempting to reign in his sarcastic confusion, yet failing miserably. 

Tsukauchi laughed, the throaty chuckle resounding about the room. Whatever tension that had been slowly growing, dissipated. “The book follows a young kid’s dreams, aspirations, and memories as they grow older. The series, so far, is made up of about four books. The Dream. The Desire. The Detriment. And the most recent, The Death. The Unfeasible series was the main works of the anonymous author, and yet short stories and poems--that are now becoming increasingly popular as well--have also been written in a timely manner. And yet, after The Death was published about a year ago, no more books have been published.” Tsukauchi took a deep breath, about to get to the main purpose of his meeting with Aizawa. “Throughout the series, mental illness is displayed, followed by the slow decay of childhood dreams and extreme bullying. The main character develops low self esteem as he grows older, and even watches as everyone turns against him for lacking a quirk.”

When the detective pauses, Aizawa decides to cut in. “How did this series become a bestseller and international excitement?” 

“The plot itself is not nearly as impressive on its own, but the character depths, writing style, and realism is addicting. What is most captivating about the series is the subtle change of a child’s dream rotting and the character developing so slowly that a difference isn’t easily noticed until the end of the book. Such realism draws attention to mental illness and its development to the extreme.” Tsukauchi said, feeling as if he failed explaining the beautiful sadness within the pages. 

Aizawa grunted, brain slowly wrapping around the series’ implications. 

“Now, the reason I called you here is because of the author seemingly dropping off the edge of the earth, but also because of the dramatic shift and ending of the final book.” Tsukauchi said, standing up from his lounge chair. Eyes followed his form as he walked towards his personal bookshelf. He picked up a medium sized book towards the right side of the shelf. From his seat, Aizawa can read the bolded title. 

“The Death ended rather abruptly, and in a very intense way. You see, the now teenager had come to the slow realization that his childhood friend actually loathed him. After bullying him relentlessly, the childhood friend told the main character to jump off the roof of the building and hope for a quirk in his next life. Then suddenly the book cuts to him being attacked by a villain and eventually being saved by a much loved hero he had always worshiped since childhood.” Tsukauchi opened the book, flipping to the last few pages. “The ending includes his hero telling the main character that he could never be a hero since he lacked such a quirk. Finally, the timeline leads up to the character desiring to geta job, which has him end up at bookstore. The problem is that the last few chapters are written very frantically, as if reading straight into someone’s mind. The sentences were written in disarray and then seemingly cut off abruptly after the main character stumbled on the book. Many readers began to think the series just ended on a cliffhanger, but as time progressed, they began to worry for the author.” 

Aizawa nodded, understanding the rambles of the detective. And yet, questions still linger in his head. “Why would the public worry so much over the author’s silence? That doesn’t make sense.” 

Tsukauchi nodded, understanding that his explanation was a bit rushed and condensed. “Over the past nine years, the author has written about eleven pieces. The four books in the Unfeasible Series, three poem books, two short stories, and published two journals. They were published in a consecutive, swift manner almost every 300 days, sometimes even closer together.”

Aizawa pursed his lips. “That doesn’t answer why the public is concerned over a year's break in writing.”

“I believe the concern is moreso regarding the hyper-realistic display of mental illness taking over a teenager’s life who doesn’t receive help. It brings up the question of why the author can describe such turmoil so realistically. It brings up the question of the author’s mental health--their past, and with that their future.” Tsukauchi had made his way towards his personal shelf again, pulling out three more books and stacking them. His footsteps sound across the room as he approaches Aizawa. Intense eyes met the hero’s tired ones. “I have read all of this anonymous author’s works.” He says, handing the stack to Aizawa. “And even as I read the series, everything seems too real, too raw. I will admit, such a series is not for the weak of heart, as it even managed to send me into quite the inner spiral.” Aizawa takes the stack, swallowing thickly as his nerves rise. “The more I read into the storyline, the more anxious I had become.”

Aizawa stiffened, the fabric of the lounge chair under him felt too itchy, too uncomfortable. The room didn’t seem as welcome as it did moments ago. His coffee had long since gone cold and sad since the conversation took off. His hands felt insanely cold as he gripped the books handed to him. Just the physical presence of the books felt as if they held a darker meaning behind the vibrant cover colors. 

“I think it would be best for you to read the series and get a better understanding of why the novel that sparked a public riot to check on the author.” The detective then began walking to his desk, shuffling around papers. “Since the books are fairly small, I was thinking we will discuss The Dreamer next month on the seventeenth?”

Aizawa moves to stand up as well. He grunted in agreement at the detective before making his way towards the door. Books strewn in one arm while the other holds his half-empty, cold coffee. 

“See you the seventeenth.” He concluded as he stepped outside the office. 

The sound of papers being shuffled through almost hid the detective’s reply. “Stay safe, Aizawa.”