the case: izuku

A couple months had passed since the destruction of the Yakuza base. And while the mission hadn’t gone to plan at all and a few heroes had to be successful at evacuating the building before its collapse, only a few had died. LockRock, Nighteye, and KoiFan--an assistant to Gang Orca--were among the three recovered bodies. A few more bodies in the lower levels had yet to be found and Tsukauchi was banned from filling out the paperwork for his missing policeman. But after being released from the hospital a little less than a month ago, he had been able to wrap up a few cases with the help of a few leads. 

But while he could still do some work, and was actually called in to assist in interrogations, he was technically supposed to be on break. So to fulfill his requirements for rest, he decided to stop by and grab a coffee for himself and Aizawa before finalizing a few case documents and deciding what to do with the future. 

Tsukauchi was a bit nervous, knowing that he would be seeing his coworker and friend again. They hadn't been able to see each other since he left the hospital. And even then, they had only seen each other for a few minutes tops. Their visitations had been limited due to the Commission wanting to interrogate both of the adults for their side of the events. It was a rule they enforced quite often, so neither adult put up much fight on the fact. 

But while the detective had managed to get less injuries on the bomb’s impact, Aizawa had to get quite a few surgeries on his leg, arm and chest. Even worse, Tsukauchi knew that while Aizawa was recovering from the concussion and injuries, none of the hospital staff had informed him of how the teen was holding up. Similarly, Tsukauchi had dread pool up in his gut as he thought about informing the hero of the kid he had grown a sort of bond with on the mission. He shivered, adjusting his grip on the steering wheel before him as he left to pick the hero up. He drove safely, attempting to keep the steaming coffee from spilling. 

By the time he had entered the car entrance of the hospital, he could already see Aizawa standing in front of the exit waiting impatiently. Tsukauchi took in the form of his friend as he made his way over to the car. His throat felt tight at the sight of glinting metal on the man’s arm. And although he couldn't see enough of the limb to truly know what happened, he felt it wouldn't be good. Aizawa used his good arm, the left one, to open the car door. With a grunt, he slid into the seat, closed the door and buckled in. 

His first question to Tsukauchi was: “This mine?” 

The detective blinked, noting how the hero was pointing to one of the coffee cups. 

Tsukauchi nodded affirmatively, eliciting a happy noise of approval from the hero. “Good. I needed this.” He spoke up, taking a sip of his drink. 

In silence, the detective pulled out from the hospital and began to drive, mind elsewhere as he let Aizawa enjoy his coffee. The hospital didn't allow him to have any for a couple months while he was in and out of surgery, no doubt. 

Once the man finished his drink and seemed to be in better spirits the further away from the hospital, Tsukauchi bit the bullet. “So…” He began, hesitant. “What happened to your arm?” He finished, nervousness showing through his voice. 

Aizawa glanced at his friend, noting how the detective refused to take his eyes off the road, knuckles white from gripping the wheel. “They thought they could repair the tissues and bones that broke in the forearm.” He spoke up, voice neutral and without emotions. “But after the second reconstruction surgery, they noticed an infection spreading and killing off the nerves to my fingers. Tried to save it but was afraid that if it got too far, my whole arm would die. So they cut off the broken bones, shredded tissues, and infections at the source.” He said, glancing back at the detective again, seeing how he would take the news.