the case: discussion two

Over the course of the next month, Aizawa had been faithfully reading The Dreamer. And on the night of the thirteenth, he found time to finish the book. Four days before he had to meet the detective, Aizawa sat in his home’s recliner, staring at the blank television. 

He felt as if his childhood had been ripped out of his personal headspace and forced into a beautifully worded composition, and yet at the same time he felt as if he had been a ghost watching a child’s ambitions develop through the course of a few years. The naive excitement within the book was simplistic yet specific enough to mimic a child’s unyielding perspective of a world they have yet to comprehend. 

So he sat, taking in the remains of a story depicting a child’s unfiltered happiness. 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

“I think it was written just as a reminiscent depiction of childhood would have been.” Aizawa said, stretching his fingers before popping his knuckles. 

Tsukauchi leaned forward from his vantage point across the table to get closer to Aizawa. “Don’t you find it weird?” He asked, eyes wide with intense emotions not fully comprehensible to the UA teacher. 

After not receiving a response, the detective continued. “Isn’t it weird how flawlessly the book captures a child? If the author was an adult, I don't think they would have been able to articulate a child’s thoughts like that.” 

“You think someone closer to childhood wrote it?” Asked Aizawa, voice wavering slightly as he mulled over the idea. 

“It would make sense, but at the same time, it would be contradictory. A child’s insight of life gets hindered as their brains develop, and The Dreamer is uncannily child-like in visual representation of vivid memories being revisited--as if the inner child never grew old. But at the same time, the professional, stylistic aspects of the writing is incredibly detailed and unique--something even older authors have a difficulty reaching.” The detective’s eyes were big, almost shaking as he analyzed the options before them. 

Aizawa hummed, “I think…the author is on the younger side, albeit extremely talented.” He brings his hand up to rub his chin’s stubble, flinching slightly as he thought back to his past. “Even as a twenty-year old, I had trouble remembering key details of my childhood. Not saying everyone is like that, but a lot of individuals forget memories and emotions that took place early on in life. Especially as their brain ages.” 

Tsukauchi glances nervously at Aizawa before he sits back in his seat, nodding. A slight scraping sounds about the room as Tsukachi pushed from the table slightly. Aizawa blinks, slightly amused by his coworker. 

“Hello, just checking in. Are you both doing okay? Would you like any more refreshments, maybe a snack?” A kind waitress asked, a soft smile on her face. Her reddish-brown hair was tied behind her neck in a low ponytail. Her voice had a slightly twang-y accent that shined through her Japanese pronunciations. To seal the deal, her name tag displayed the name “Elise.” 

Aizawa glanced up, taking in the kind worker. “A black coffee, please.” He said, voice thick with too many thoughts surrounding his mind. 

She nodded politely, before turning to Tsukauchi from across the table. “And you, sir?” She asked. But just as she finished her sentence, the detective became more alert, sitting up as a thought crossed his mind. 

Aizawa had to bite back a groan. 

“Have you ever read the book The Dreamer by an anonymous author whose pen name is--” He quickly looked down at the paperwork below his nose, sliding the documents and notes around before finishing his sentence. “Ah, he has no pen name, just Anonymous” He finishes, picking up a pen to cross something out on his notes. “I forgot that the pen name was a dead end.” He mumbled to himself. 

The waitress looked confused and borderline concerned from the seemingly random question. “I’m sorry--” She began. 

“It’s the first book in the Unfeasible Series, if that helps. It’s called The Dreamer.” He clarifies. 

“Oh!” She exclaims softly, realization hitting her, “Yeah, I’ve read some of the series, got past the second book, but by the third, I just couldn’t find myself to finish. The poem books are wonderful though--that’s how I found out about the series to begin with.” She answers, face soft at the aspect of reading. “Why do you ask?” She questions. 

A split second of an indecipherable emotion cast itself over Tsukauchi’s face before he quickly calmed it. “You see, my friend and I are attempting to set up a sort of book club and are in the process of researching possible book series to start off with. I had heard of the mixed reviews regarding the Unfeasible Series, but overall I was intrigued.” He shrugged, putting a show of gathering his papers into a neat stack. Aizawa almost grinned at how realistic the lie sounded, especially when he noticed the pile of papers. “What are your thoughts?” Tsukauchi concluded. 

“Hmm,” She hummed. Her weight shifted to her back leg as she stood, thinking of her input. “I think, if you are just starting with new members that have opposing interests, that this book would be too heavy, ya’know? But if it is with people you all are close to and are into an interesting read about childhood development and the world, then I say go for it.” She says, before thinking a bit more. “It probably isn’t something I would start off with though.” She adds, meeting the gaze of both males. “It’s a heavy read. Anyways, I’ll get your coffee sir. If either of you need anything else, just let me know.” And with that, she left. 

Aizawa took a moment to register what all just happened before turning to Tsukauchi and glaring. “Really?” He asked, sarcasm lacing his voice. The detective simply looked at the hero and shrugged, a small smirk playing against his lips. 

“Good intel comes from outside perspectives.” He spoke, mysteriously. “Anyways, I found some interesting information regarding the author and their books.” 

Aizawa hummed to showcase how he was somewhat listening, yet still annoyed at being present. At least he was being paid though. 

“The books were published, without any publishing company signatures, leading me to believe that they were published by the author’s self. And yet no information leading into the author is found, which hints at the author being possibly unaware of his work being published.”

“You are talking in circles.” Monotoned Aizawa, tapping his fingers on the empty cup of his first coffee. He would have rolled his eyes, but he was curious. He would never truly admit that though. 

“Let me rephrase: the book has properties that show it was even published at all--more so it seems as if it just popped into existence one evening. No famous publishers, small time publishers, or even self publishing qualities are found inside the book. It completely lacks a signature!” Tsukauchi spoke, voice becoming more firm as excitement lit up his dark brown eyes. This case was so unlike the regular murder, theft, kidnapping that he was desensitized to find a solution to. No, this case was far more intricate and tricky. It was a mind game from author to detective, as if specifically written for the unknown to be a prominent variable. 

And yet, the case was not as cut and dry as a regular “who did it?”

Aizawa used his free hand to rub the stubble forming along his jaw. His eyebrows furrowed as he thought deeper on the subject. 

“Here you go, sir! A black coffee, though it is still warm. Be careful!” The nice waiter approached, a smile plastered on her face as she slid the new cup over to Aizawa. He mumbled a thanks as his brain turned a mile a minute under the publisher’s news. 

Moments passed with both men thinking diligently. Aizawa was about to take a sip of his coffee before setting it down. “Have you checked for book publishing quirks?” 

Tsukauchi’s eyes snapped up, meeting the underground hero’s gaze. “I’ll do that.” He said with an air of determination, taking a nearby pen to write down the reminder on his notes.