Five

Arie

"Hello? Earth to Arie, do you copy?"
Adam snapped his fingers in my face, trying to pull me out of a daydream he knew didn't involve him. They never did. We'd been dating for just a few months but I could feel just how trapped I was by him.
"Yes. What? What do you want?"
His smile faded like it always did, I don't know if he ever liked each other.
"I was asking if you wanted to go get something to eat? I'm starving"
A shrugged and stood, motioning to the door. We walked, rode, and walked again in silence. We didn't speak again until we were seating at Takari hibachi and bar.
"I got the first 100% from Scriv today."
He didn't even look up from his phone
"It was my story that was supposed to have an 'unsettling setting or character.' He didn't even have to correct any grammar"
I was proud of myself and no amount of disinterest was going to change that. When he didn't answer I twiddle my thumbs and look at my setting. It was darker, with black walls and smoky concrete floors, it all made it even more impressive when the chef clicked his lighter. There were several tables completely empty, a few filled with graduates and their families but my eyes caught on a familiar face; the one I'd been dying to see since I left for Florence ave. Without a word I stood and walked over to McBrien's table. He was seated alone and all I wanted was to join him.
"Johnny, hey"
He looked up and smiled, as he motioned towards to seat I was already sitting the rest of the way down
"Are you here to celebrate with your family?"
"Oh.. no, I'm here with my boyfriend"
The words tasted gross in my mouth and I wanted to shove them back in when I saw the look on his face.
"But he's not paying attention to me even though I gave him some pretty cool news"
His smile reappeared and in turn it made me smile back
"What was the news?"
"Scrivs gave me an 100% on my final essay. He never gives them and I got one, I found out during the legacy walk"
"Hey, that's awesome. You're a smart young adult and deserve the recognition, screw him if he isn't excited for you"
My throat caught, he could've called me a smart kid, he had been calling me a smart kid until now. I'm an adult. He sees me as an adult.
"Could I add you on Facebook? I know I couldn't when I was your student but I would like to keep up with each other. You were my favorite and all"
"Yeah, yeah of course you can. I'll accept it right away"
I forced myself to stand and return to my own table where Adam was scowling at me. He face was severe and when he opened his mouth to speak I stopped him with my hand
"You weren't even looking at me, you can't be pissed I went and found someone who would actually speak to me"
"I just never liked that guy, he's a creep. He probably trades sex for good grades"
I could feel the anger rise in my throat, I was used to him saying awful things about me but that was a whole other ball game, that was a fire worthy offense.
"If that was the case, I would lay down for every A I got"
"You stupid whore, you just want me to feel inadequate. You wonder why I'm so mean to you, it's because you deserve anything else"
My ears burned and shrunk into myself, if there was anyone that could make me feel this way it was Adam. I looked at him but instead of his eyes glowering at me they were focused above my head
"You really shouldn't talk to your girlfriend that way, it's disrespectful"
Adam scoffed before he spoke
"Babe, can you please tell your little puppy dog to leave us alone"
"I'll leave when I hear an apology, there is no reason for you to talk to her that way and-"
He turned to look at me
"Arie, it's not like to sit down and take this from him, I've gotten worse results when asking you to stop calling Heather a bitch"
"That's because she knows her place, she knows when it comes to me she is supposed to sit down, shut the fuck up, and follow directions."
I let my chin drop, my mouth hanging open. I could feel the fire burning in my eyes. I grabbed my phone off the table, shoving it in my pocket before I stood
"I'm leaving, you aren't my daddy Adam and that was too fucking far, he's right I've put up with this way too long"
Adam crossed his arm, getting ready for the battle he always won. He narrowed his eyes at me and sighed
"What are you gonna do? Walk home? Your rode here with me, stupid"
I look over at McBrien with a small smile and he smiles back
"Johnny? Could I please get a ride home?"
He nodded and held out his arm for me to take, I flicked Adam off and sticking out my tongue. When we made it out the front doors I stopped and dropped his arm
"Thanks for the quick escape, I'm going to get an Uber"
His eyebrows pulled in but he didn't let his smile fade, he pulled my arm and mumbled about how it would be safe for him to drive me. I climbed into the front seat of his faded yellow jeep and blew out a large breath
"I need to smoke"
His head snapped over to look at me, disappointment dripping from eyes
"Not a cigarette, something that will really take the edge off"
"Open up the glove box" he said nodding towards it
When I popped it open I found a small wooden box, I pulled it out and set it on my lap. When I opened I found a half smoked preroll and a lighter
"Go ahead, light it up"
I put the oversized roach between my lips, flicked the lighter, and breathed in, let a little escape my lips before sucking back in.