A twisted aura

Despite how it often ends in the games, especially the last one that was played by a human girl who accidentally brought an entity into her world, and now has to deal with it, the green hills all fans have known were still the same... or nearly the same.

The paths through the floral grounds were phased by a blue blur, dashing from land to land, at speeds no one could ever catch up with. Sonic had been running for hours with no particular goal in mind. A daily thing he does. His speedy strolls were always to make him feel better whenever something went south or just to get some fresh air, away from everyone else.

However, he didn't run for any of those reasons, at the moment. No thoughts behind those emerald eyes of his, no feeling of freedom running through his veins whatsoever, no joy sensed out of the lands surrounding him. The lack of a sun in the sky might be part of the reason why felt so empty, unlike his usual self. All he could see above were dark, heavy clouds of what he could deduce from them as rain and thunder.

Being aquaphobic, Sonic thought of turning around to get back to his friends. But a certain urge of worry and fear kept on pushing him to keep moving forward, towards where the storm was coming from. Surrendered to that impulse and not thinking about it twice, he continued to run along the trail, completely stone faced.

For the kindhearted hero he was, he didn't necessarily care if someone was presently in danger. He was too lost in his own mind to bother about anything. Even his running was automatic as he didn't focus as to where he was going, he couldn't see where his instinct was leading him, neither could he see in front of himself, nor was he in control of his legs. His attention was scattered onto things he didn't want to focus on. There was only scenes and images of blood thrashing around in his mind. People... dying and screaming. It was far from what he would normally think of, but he didn't care. The scenarios would play in loop in his brain, the stabs occurring to the sound of his rapid footsteps that seemed to have frozen in time, although he was still moving. He wanted to stop the pictures flashing in his consciousness but his speed wasn't allowing any of it. He just kept running, and running, and running.

At a certain point, in the far distance, he could see a large peek, larger than the rest he had seen here. He stopped to examine it for an instant. It was higher, sharper, and how it sat at the edge of Green hills, in the darker parts of the land wasn't reassuring the blue hedgehog right about now. In addition of the bad weather currently right behind that very mountain, gave it a more concerning appearance as it seemed to be nothing but a shadowy silhouette lost in an accurately depicted void.

He stood staring at it for what felt like a full decade, and the longer he kept his eyes on it, the more it seemed to be moving on its own, and the darker it seemed to get. A deep rumble emitted from above woke him up, shaking him out of his nonsensical thoughts.

The blue hero took in a deep breath, and exhaled before he darted towards the peak.

"What are you even looking for, Sonic?"

He heard his own voice talking, although he wasn't questioning himself. The question was ignored and he proceeded onward, not bothering to listen or answer to anything his own voice was telling or asking him. Only the sound of his footsteps occupied his ears.

He ran to the top, ending up swallowed by the raiding darkness. Sickness, sorrow and coldness slowly invaded the being the longer he remained in the shadows. His steps slowed. His breathing became faint. His emotions faded, leaving him empty. He was just a hollow husk, mindlessly walking. At this point, he wanted to leave, yet he wanted to stay. The sick feeling of depression was horrible, but also enjoyable.

His facial expression went from an emotionless frown to a small, soulless smile of pain, as a tear ran down his face.

It's dark and cold here... I don't like it. Yet... why don't I hate it?