Chapter Fifteen

Kitten hands twiddled with the skirt of her dress as she sat in her car. She could hear the crowd clamoring for Phoenix, photographers calling for her attention as she walked the red carpet at the entrance of her salon.

Kitten only got to see Phoenix out there for a second when she was making her way around the building. Phoenix was styled so perfectly with a yellow dress that fluttered when she walked. Her curly hair was pinned up showcasing her beautiful, tanned, angled face and dazzling green eyes.

A kick of anxiety forced Kitten to swallow the little saliva she had in her dry mouth. She didn't want that old jealousy she used to have for Phoenix to come slithering into her mind again. She wants things to be better this time.

A knock on her car window cause Kitten to jump in her seat as she stared at the man waving frantically at her with a big welcome smile. It must be Glenn, Phoenix assistant.

Phoenix had given Kitten prior notice to meet with him behind the salon after they had discussed some issues Kitten had with security. Luckily, Kittens fears were heard by her sister and she offered for her to have a private guard for the evening.

Kitten has no one to protect her if Zach decides to come for her again, somehow though that's not what is really scaring her these days.

"Um, miss?" Glenn grabs her attention once again from outside the car.

Kitten gives him an apologetic smile, cursing herself for losing her sight in her thoughts, and steps from out of her car. Her short red dress sparkling against the sunset.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Glenn, and I'm here to assist you until your security guard gets here." He says as they make their way through the back door of the salon entering a dim-lit room that looked more like a love-nest than a office.

Though Kitten didn't have the time to look around as Glenn ushered her out the door and into a loud room that was warm from hair dryers, filled with chatter, drinks clanking, and a lone photographer running around popping pictures.

A few heads turned her way and instantly their lips began their muttering, but Kitten kept her head up and walked behind Glenn. Though she caught every pair of eyes that judged her.

"Is there anywhere I can get a drink?" Kitten asks.

Glenn nods shooting Kitten a look of knowing as they walk up to a small bar at the back of the room where he orders a glass of wine for the both of them.

"You know, everyone here knows about your ex and the unfortunate reasons you decided to leave him," Glenn says.

Kitten snapped her head towards him before glancing over the crowd that continued to eye her down. What did they think they know?

"If I may ask," Glenn looks around before leaning and whispering. "How did you get rid of all the bruising?"

Kitten clenched her hands, quieting the anger that flushed her. She wanted to slap the grin off his face and scream in anguish. Who was he to ask a question like that? Kitten took a big gulp of her wine, looking around now knowing what everyone else was wondering about her.

Her eyes began to blur as she turned to Glenn, who appeared to be embarrassed of the question he ask as he saw Kitten's reaction.

"Does everyone think I'm lying?" She whispered.

Glenn gulped as they moved to a more private center of the room. This time, he appeared to be more sincere as he said, "I'm afraid so... miss." Glenn took a look around and beckoned for Kitten to come closer. "The rumor is that you guys couldn't agree on breaking up, you didn't want to leave him, so when things were final you... made up lies about the abuse."