Chapter 4: Again

Jiwoo laughs out loud. She has been all smiles ever since she joined the club yesterday.

They all talked that Sunday morning, the day after the incident. Yerim taught them more about elemental manipulators, and Jiwoo finally realized that she is a flower manipulator. Flower manipulators can heal as well as control the flower element.

They talk about it that morning, but eventually just move on. They still had more important things to do, like school and work.

"Hey, do you want to make some kimchi jjigae right now?" Jungeun asks everyone.

"Hell yeah. I'm fucking starving," Sooyoung says.

"Sooyoung, you're always starving," Haseul says. "We can split into two groups if you want. One can cook and one can buy the ingredients?"

"That's a great idea!' Kahei exclaims.

"Sure. But no matter what, Chaewon is not doing the cooking," Hyunjin says.

Chaewon rolls her eyes.

"Whatever. Didn't want to do it anyway."

"Ok, we can have Heejin, Chaewon, Hyunjin, Sooyoung, and Jungeun in the ingredient group. The rest can stay with me," Haseul instructs.

. . .

The moon shines in the navy, evening sky. The streets are quiet, except for the occasional whistle of a gust of wind or the soft rumble of a car engine. Heejin and the others walk down the sidewalk to the local grocery store.

"I just wanted the food. Now I'm forced to do this," Hyunjin sighs.

"But it's fun right?" Heejin asks.

"Yeah, the eating part will. The walking part, not so much."

"Yah, Hyunjin, stop complaining," Chaewon says.

"Yah, Chaewon, stop being short. See? You can't stop being short, so I can't stop complaining," Hyunjin says, smirking.

Then Heejin freezes.

7 people in black suits stand before them.

You've got to be kidding me

Sooyoung shouts, "Run!"

They turn around to sprint, but a wall of ice emerges from the ground.

Heejin, Hyunjin, and Chaewon skid to the right, heading into a wide alleyway.

Beams of lightning, shadows, and fire blast past them as they run.

Heejin abruptly feels her shoulder blaze with pain. She winces, slowing down.

It doesn't matter to keep running anyway.

They meet up with a wall.

Heejin turns around. Only 3 of the 7 people are there.

Beads of sweat trickle down her neck as she pants heavily.

"Bring it on," one of the people says.

"Oh my goodness. It speaks!" Hyunjin says jokingly.

The men run up to them, their backs plastered against the wall.

The tallest man goes straight toward Hyunjin.

He jumps in the air and performs a 360-spinning kick, flames spewing from his leg.

Hyunjin easily ducks, but another kick with shadows heads for her.