Chapter 20: Mother and Daughter

Heejin opens her eyes suddenly.

She looks around to see the others with their eyes showing the same emotion. Confusion.

"What? Are you guys finally giving up?" the woman says.

Heejin has almost forgotten that the woman is there.

It hasn't even been a second after she thought before a few men appear behind them.

"Take away their elements," the woman orders.

What?

"Start with me!" Hyunjin yells.

"Wait, what?" Heejin says, her eyes widening even further as she sees the men approaching Hyunjin. "What are you doing Hyunjin!?"

Hyunjin doesn't respond. She uses the same monotone expression that Heejin loves when Hyunjin makes jokes. The face now doesn't seem the same anymore.

"You can't be serious Hyunjin! Stop what-" Heejin gets cut off.

"My daughter has learned. She's making up for her stupidity," the woman says.

"Shut the fuck up! You don't know her!" Heejin yells. "You will never. Hyunjin is the kindest, most empathetic, and the most protective person I've ever met. She cares in a way that no one notices, brings happiness and smiles to our faces, and has a deeply loving heart. How do you feel about yourself? Taking away the element from your so-called 'daughter'?"

A flash of sadness runs through the woman's eyes but gets immediately replaced by anger.

"And how do you know?" she asks.

"Because,' Heejin pauses. "Because I love her."

She says those last three words loudly and confidently, making sure that everyone heard them.

"Wow, how romantic," she mocks and turns toward her men. "Start the process."

"Do you realize how important love is?" Heejin asks.

The woman sighs loudly.

"Can you shut up for a second?"

"No, I will not shut up for a second. You're going to kill your daughter."

"Doesn't matter."

Heejin looks at Hyunjin.

She's hopeless.

The men raise their hands at Hyunjin.

The moment is so nerve-wracking and intense that Heejin notices every detail.

Their hands are engraved with callouses and patches of dry skin. The black cloak draped over their body slowly slides down their arms as their fingers curl in.

Unexpectedly, Hyunjin walks forward, unaffected by the bind. The men jump in surprise. Hyunjin pushes them over and eyes them with a deadly glare.

Her steps toward the mother are confident, and her long black hair sways back and forth with each step.

She stops about three feet from the woman, her eyes piercing.

And not one second passes by before the mother lashes her hands out, spilling a bonfire at Hyunjin.

Hyunjin reacts back, rolling to the right. Her shoes skid across the ground, leaving a mark in the soil. A glistening wave crashes over the mother.

The mother blinks behind Hyunjin, leaving a puddle behind.

Hyunjin unleashes a sword of water and quickly swirls around as she slashes the umbra of shadows. She slashes again into a gale of wind.

Hyunjin bounces back a few steps. She ducks.