Our Time

Angelina pov

"You're gonna have to live at the Head Quarters for a while, I'll be visiting often. Don't worry the people there are amazing! I'm sure Anne and Macy would look after you, might as well try and befriend Jeff!" My tone drops seeing a not so engaged Therese looking out of the car window as I drive her to her friend's place.

"Honey? I'm talking to you." Still no response, it was like right now she's not here like she was dissociating.

"Therese!" I raised my voice a little higher causing her to flinch.

"I'm sorry, what was that?" She stammers finally returning to reality.

"We'll have to discuss that later, we're here," I announce the place had this calming aura.

The lake was enamored by dazzling flowers that were found bush by bush, the smell of trees filled my lungs, and the wind danced gracefully that felt like our arrival was welcomed.

Therese jumped out of the car and didn't take a minute to look back when her eyes rested on a woman who was watering a whole plot of roses. Yellow roses to be exact.

The woman was just the same height as me, with curly locks of dirty blonde, kind blue eyes, and a motherly persona.

I watched how my daughter's smile grew instantly, I never made her smile. How easy is it for her to do that?

"Lizzie!" Therese shrieks catching the woman's attention.

Immediately, the blonde woman puts down her watering can, wiping the dirt off her hands from her apron.

"Hello, sweetheart. Is anything wrong? Did your Dad do something again?" She worriedly checks her arms and faces for any new wounds or bruises.

"No, I'm with someone actually." Therese motions me to come nearer as I only watched in the distance.

"Hello, Angie." Of course, Elizabeth. She didn't smile at me, she would never. Another High School friend, more like a nemesis actually.

"Hi, Liz. It's been uhh, quite a while." I'm not going to cuss at her in front of my daughter, maybe not when she's looking.

"You guys know each other?" Therese looks at us both in confusion and disbelief, maybe because we were both glaring at each other.

"We were friends, sweetheart. Now why would 'THE' Angelina Jolie want to come with you, Amber." Elizabeth smirked at Therese although she didn't meet eyes.

"She's my mom, long story. Let me tell you about it inside!" Both of their eyes land on me.

"I- I'll be waiting at the car."

I did return to my car and I watched in a distance how the glum, teary-eyed, and sorrowful-looking Therese suddenly transforms into this girl. Smiley, talkative, and somehow I saw a glint of excitement in her eyes.

Sitting for almost two hours in my car, I did a few phone calls. I didn't bother waiting but it was almost 7 pm and we should already have dinner at this time.

Finally, I saw Therese accompanied by Elizabeth walking towards the car and in just 30 minutes we were heading to a drive-thru at McDonald's.

"You were acting weird with Lizzie, Why?" Therese's energy from earlier has not yet left her but I'm glad to meet this new version of her.

"We had stuff." I tried to use my voice that was firm and intact, even if it was not quite a serious matter. I just wanted to avoid the point she's trying to get into.