||| 01 |||

Hammond Creation Lab

The story starts with two eggs beginning to hatch, tiny claws scratch through the shell. It's possible to hear the hatchlings' heartbeats. In the second egg, a brown eye peeks out. Then the sound of the hatchling roar.

 Then the sound of the hatchling roar

Mitchell Residence

Snow. An enormous dinosaur foot comes down with a loud thud. However, the foot is actually that of an ordinary bird. It chirps, flaps its wings and flies away.

Karen Mitchell is in the driveway of a two-story suburban home loading luggage into the back of a Nissan minivan. She turns and yells up at the house.

Karen: Boys, let's do this!

In his room, Gray Mitchell is looking at slides of dinosaurs on his View Master toy. He sees an Allosaurus fighting a Triceratops, then two Ray Harryhausen-animated Ceratosaurus fighting in a scene from The Animal World. His room is filled with dinosaur and monster movie toys and posters. There's a knock on the door.

Karen: (through the door) Gray?

She proceeds to enter the room.

Karen: Honey, what're you doing? What is this here?

She takes the Viewmaster away from him.

Karen: Let's go. Come on, honey your flight's in two hours.

She begins counting his things.

Gray: Dane Country Airport is thirty-six minutes away, sixty with traffic.

Karen: How many minutes to get your little butt in the van?

She smiles. Her son smiles back.

Karen: Hmm? How many of those?

She grabs his bag and they walk out together.

Karen: Feed the monster under your bed?

Gray: Yes.

Gray comes charging out the front door of the house a minute later and runs obliviously past his older brother Zach Mitchell and his girlfriend.

Girlfriend: Call me every day. And text me pics so I don't forget what you look like.

Karen comes out of the house.

Zach: I'll only be gone a week.

In the driver's seat of the van, Scott Mitchell, Gray and Zach's father, looks impatient and amused.

Scott: Zach, you're not goin' off to war, here. Please. Come on.

Zach and his girlfriend stare into one another's eyes.

Zach: I--

Girlfriend: (interrupting) I love you.

Zach: Will see you later.

She grins at his apparent inability to tell her he loves her.

Scott: Vamanos!

Zach: Bye. Okay.

Girlfriend: Bye.

Zach runs to the van as his father starts up the engine.

Karen: (to Zach) Coming buddy?

Zach's girlfriend waves to him. Everyone except her gets into the van. Karen and Scott turn and look at their boys in the backseat, particularly the sullen Zach.

Karen: I know it hurts, sweetheart.

Scott: (teasing) Are you gonna be okay?

Zach responds by putting his headphones on. And Gray smiles looking out of the window.

Dane Country Airport

The Mitchells are saying goodbye to their sons at the gate to get on the plane. Karen is going over the plane ticket with Gray.

Karen: Everything right on there?

Gray nods.

Karen: I'm so jealous. You're gonna have so much fun.

Her smile and pleasant demeanor seem a little forced.

Karen: I love you.

Gray: I love you too.

He hugs her. The hug lasts a little too long. Something isn't quite right. While hugging his mother, Gray looks over at his father and Scott seems a little uncomfortable and manages a small smile.

Karen: Okay. Right.

They stop hugging finally.

Karen: All right, um, let's give these to your brother, okay?

She turns to hand the tickets to Zach. He isn't paying attention. He has the hood of his jacket up over his head and his headphones blasting music into his ears.

Karen: Can you hold these, please?

Scott: (a little louder) Zach!

Karen: Can you hold these? Honey, I need you to take care of these.

Finally, Zach notices and accepts them indifferently.

Zach: Yeah.

Scott: (getting Zach's attention) Hey.

Karen: All right.

Scott: Listen to your mother.

Karen: Take care of your brother, answer your phone. I'm serious. It's the green button. When you see my name, push it, okay?

Zach nods absently.

Karen: And remember, if something chases you... (she pauses for dramatic effect) ...run.

Gray smiles.

Karen: (apologetically) Come on.

Zach: (to Gray) Come on, let's go.

He ushers Gray along as they head to the plane.

Karen: Bye, guys.

Zach: Bye.

Karen: I miss you already!

Zach: Yep.

Once the boys are gone, the two adults drop the act, their attitudes becoming cold and sad.

Scott: So much for our last family breakfast...

Karen: (annoyed) Why do you have to say things like that?

Gray waves goodbye as he and Zach head through the gate to board.

Scott: Did you call your sister?

Karen: Straight to voicemail.

Scott: They'll be fine. She handles twenty-thousand people a day. She can handle two more.