Chapter 10

Alicia stuttered, and shivered.

"Blair... I'm pregnant. And I don't know who the father is."

"Oh Leesh." Blair's voice, full of sadness and condemnation, sounded tinny over the phone's speaker. "You should've been more careful."

"I know, dammit! I fucking know! Now I'm knocked up, and I don't know who the father is, or what the hell I'm going to do! Can you put aside your high-and-mighty attitude for just a few god damn precious moments so you can HELP ME?!" Alicia's voice rasped, and was thick with emotion and rage.

Blair choked on her words.

"Leesh, I'm so sorry. But truly..." Blair was cut off.

"You know what? Fuck it. I don't give a damn. It's not too late to have an abortion. And I've only slept with three guys my whole life. It's one of them. Have a nice goddam life, Blakey. You can't suck your bitchy attitude up for one second to help me? What the hell? What kind of a friend does that?"

Blair didn't speak. A heavy silence coated the cell reception.

"Until you figure out how to stop being so goddamn uptight and get the stick out of your ass, don't bother calling me. And if you see me at the office, don't even think about talking to me until you're ready to apologize." Alicia's voice cracked, and she pressed end.

Throwing the phone across the room, Alicia slid down the wall and broke down in tears, the salinity staining her cheeks.

Pounding her head on the floor. Breaking each nail on the floorboards. Making sure each throb and pulse hurt her ears. Alicia screamed into a pillow, and didn't stop for a good five minutes.

Then her stomach rumbled. Her jaw ached as vomit rose in her throat. She stood up and jogged to the bathroom, and threw up dinner. As she did, a cramp pierced her stomach, and didn't stop.

After the vomiting ended, Alicia sat up, and rested her back on the shower. Not noticing the thick blood seeping out of her and staining the while tile and robe.

She closed her eyes to sleep, Nd dreamt of dancing pineapples stained with blood.

*********

Alicia's eyes fluttered open. And spread wide.

Her head was on the floor. And blood was in her matted blonde hair. Sitting up, dull pain throbbed through her core, and made her clench her teeth in agony.

The baby. The baby. Dex's baby. Her child. Their child. Gone.

On hands and knees, while sobbing, covered in her own blood, Alicia held the dead fetus and cried. And cried so hard she couldn't move. Until a thought came through.

Call Dex. And she did.

"Dex? C-can you come over? Please?" Sobbing and sniffling, Alicia wailed through her iPhone's speaker.

Dex agreed, and Alicia heard through the speaker the sound of a door slamming and a car engine starting.

"I'll be there in 3 minutes. Hang right, sweetie. Don't worry."

Alicia wishes she couldn't worry. But she couldn't help it.

She sat there, and waited. A minute and 42 seconds later, the door to the bathroom flew off of its hinges, shocking her.

Dex stood there, chest heaving, hair disheveled.

His mouth opened and closed. "Alicia... What is this?"

A pair of honey brown eyes stared vacantly at him.

"Our child."