Chapter 30

Blair sat on her couch, watching A Walk to Remember peacefully as she ate some ice cream and drank some cider. She remembered how, not too long ago, she had been watching this movie when Dex called her for sex. She smiled at the memory, sticking a spoonful of Rocky Road ice cream in her mouth.

God, Shane West was oddly attractive.

She frowned, wishing she could have some delicious red wine, but she loved her baby more. She loved Dex more. She couldn't do that to him, despite that he though Blair was having an abortion... Well, a real abortion anyways.

Suddenly, there was a knock at her door. Blair sighed, pushing her lazy self off the couch and towards the door. On the way, she turned on her air conditioner.

Damn pregnancy mad her feel extremely warm. She had recently checked her temperature. It was ninety-nine degrees. She groaned. Only eight more months to go...

She opened the door, looking at the reason for her extreme body temperatures.

"She's gone," Dex said, looking drunk and sloppy, but still perfect. Blair raised an eyebrow.

"Dex... What are you talking about?"

"Dianne! She's gone. I figured it out. You never got an ab-"

Blair slapped her hand over his mouth. His voice became muffled, but was still excited. It was quite adorable. She pulled him into her living room, the door closing behind her.

"Why is it so cold?"

"I'm pregnant. Let me have my A.C. on." She crossed her arms over her stomach. "Tell me."

"Dianne's gone! She believed me because I believed Alicia! You never got an abortion! I'm not a broke asshole! We can live together in love and happiness and bathe in money!" Blair laughed at his words and how cute he could be. "Blair... I love you." Dex inhaled raggedly, looking Blair in the eyes. "All I want is to be with you. Forever and always." He smiled. "Will you be my girlfriend?"

Blair laughed excitedly. "This might be the ice cream and cider talking..." She looks into his beautiful eyes. "Of course."

They kissed happily.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Alicia sighed, and swirled her sweet tea in her glass languidly. The dark rust-colored liquid looked scintillating, as the light refracted through her orange plastic cup. Blair and Dex could be happy. And all would be well.

She couldn't have children. Earlier that day, Alicia had lost her child. It had just...slipped out. Gone. Something about her hormones made it twice as difficult to conceive as a normal woman. Fucking fertile Blair.

Johnny walked in, with a giant grin on his face. "Hey darling! It's all good now! They're fine, and Dianne..." His voice trailed off as he looked at Alicia.

"Left. Yes, I know. This magical thing called an iPhone and texting. It alerted me. As soon as they had makeup sex." Alicia spoke bitterly, and an accidental tear slipped out.

Johnny kneeled, and looked at her. "Darling, what's wrong? What happened?"

Alicia slammed her glass down, and tea sloshed down her arm. "I can't have children! I can't...have children. I'm sorry, it's my fault! I've let you down, and I can never. Ever. Have kids!" Sobs were interspersed throughout each outburst, and her shoulders throbbed with each cry.

Johnny sat there, still kneeling on the floor, his jaw slightly dropped. "How do you know this?" His voice was soft, soothing, with just an edge of sadness.

Alicia couldn't look at him. Instead, she stared at her naked fingers on her hand. "I lost the baby." She took a deep breath.

"Lost. Huh. It's such an easy word. I lost my earring, my shoe, my purse. But to lose a child? Completely different. My baby. Our baby. I was gonna love that child, to death. Anything they wanted. It would be theirs. We would be a family, wedlock or not. A girl with golden hair, a boy with hazel eyes. But look at me now. I can hardly breathe, I'm so disgusted with myself. And I'm a woman, dammit! I'm supposed to have children! What the hell is my purpose now!? I could clean all day. Wait for you to come home to your barren wife, no children, just money and a hot meal and a clean home. It means nothing to me. Not without a child. My baby, my poor baby..." Alicia's voice cracked, and she couldn't continue. She made a slight twisting motion on her pointer finger, like she was rubbing a nonexistent ring.

Johnny couldn't move. He felt the box in his pocket. Couldn't move.

Alicia. Leesh. His own Alicia. Perfect, sweet, breathtaking Alicia.

Again. She lost a child. His child. Their child. Again. His heart broke for her. To lose a being that you loved already, without even saying hello or meeting properly. A mere wad of tissue. But he loved her too. Lost baby and all.

Alicia, sobs ripping through her chest, slammed her hand on the table. "Look at me! What have I done! Kill me, hurt me, rape me! Do anything! Say something! Johnny, please!"

Johnny looked at her, a ghost of a smile in his hazel eyes. "Leesh. Sweet, brilliant Leesh. I love you so much. So much. And no matter what, I will love you. Through children and Blair and school and rape and broken fingernails, I will love you."

Alicia looked him in the eye. "Prove it. How can you love me, after all I've done?"

"I love you because I can. You're one of the most lovable people I've ever met. And I promise to love you, until death do us part."

Johnny stood up, and kneeled on his left knee. "Alicia Ronaldo. Would you do me the honor and pleasure of becoming my wife?" He slid a small diamond on her hand. Simple yet absolutely complex, like a Mandelbrot fractal.

Just like her.