Kat, Chapter Four

Cobb and Kat stood at Mistress Alexa's door at six-twenty-eight in the morning. In Cobb's hand was a silver platter carrying a plate of eggs, hash browns, bacon, and toast, with coffee and orange juice. He also wore a watch on that wrist, facing him as he carried the platter. According to Cobb, punctuality was key with the Mistress. So punctual, in fact, that they stood outside her door for three minutes because it wasn't time to knock yet.

Kat watched him as he stared at his watch, a sense of unease growing in her gut. She fidgeted, smoothed out her uniform, fought the urge to gnaw her nails. Soon, she would see her Mistress again, face to face for the first time since last night in the garden. She thumbed the ring on her middle finger. The thought of seeing her Mistress again made her shudder.

She shook her head clear and stiffened, back straight, shoulders back, just like Cobb had instructed her to.

He looked at her, nodded, and then to his watch. "You will knock three times. If that is not answered, you will wait for five minutes, and then knock twice. If that remains unanswered, then you will return downstairs. That Madam will take her meal in the dining room, in that case."

Kat blinked. The sleepless night had left her exhausted. She felt like she should've been taking notes. Cobb, unaware of how lost she was, continued, "Always knock at six-thirty sharp. No sooner, no later. And with that... we have five seconds."

"W-What?"

"Four."

Oh god. She had to knock. Shakily, she did her best to stiffen up, face the door, and ready her fist. This was it. The day was starting.

"Three."

What was in store? Would she fuck up again? Thoughts raced through her mind as her fist hovered by the door.

"Two."

Here she went.

"And... knock."

Timidly, quietly, she knocked on the door three times. She swallowed. There it was, she'd done it. They waited for a moment, listening, but no response came. Cobb shook his head, but a smile appeared on his lips.

"You may want to actually knock next time. What you did was the equivalent of a whisper, Kat."

A blush rose to her cheeks, despite herself. She cleared her throat and looked away.

Cobb laughed softly. "Today, we'll be training you on etiquette, seeing as you seem to have... limited experience in it. I don't know how lenient your last owner was, but around here, clumsiness is rarely tolerated by the Madam. She can be quite strict."

Strict. The word sent a cold shake through her. Mistress Alexa had gone easy on her yesterday, she thought. She fought back tears, but sniffled anyway, her lip starting to quiver.

Cobb eyed her over, and sighed, looking back down at his watch without saying a word. For what seemed like an hour, they stood there in silence, waiting. With each minute that passed by, Kat felt her nerves growing restless.

"Alright. Get ready to knock again. Remember, two knocks. And louder."

Kat gulped and nodded, closing her fist and putting it to the door once more. Cobb, watching the time, started counting down again.

"Five."

"Four."

"Three."

"Two."

"And... knock."

She knocked, twice this time, and with slightly more force. Mistress Alexa was sure to have heard that one, even if it was still quite quiet. There was a moment of silence, and then, from within, Mistress Alexa said, "You may enter."