Kat, Chapter Thirteen

Cobb was in the kitchen preparing some lunch for all of them, while she went around picking things up and either throwing them away or making them look tidy. The party was tomorrow, and Mistress Alexa had ordered her to clean the whole house. With help from Cobb, of course, but he was busy cooking. Which left the chores up to her.

She moved into the dining room, checked the potpourri over to ensure that it was filled and fresh, realigned the chairs, and straightened the table runner. She'd already wiped down the table, so she didn't need to focus on that. Most of the wiping and sweeping had been done that morning.

Thoughts of her Mistress floated through her head. The smell of her shampoo, the softness of her skin as they slept together. And then, the kindness. The promise. And, for some reason, the trust. It was all there, like the ingredients of some special potion that intoxicated her, confused her, made her dizzy.

A part of her found that she actually hoped that the party would go smoothly for her Mistress, and wanted it to be a hit. Perhaps this was why she was taking cleaning so seriously today; she had to ensure that everything was perfect. All of the chairs were in line, all of the shelves were organized, all of the platters cleaned and ready for use.

Idly, she wondered what she would be doing during the party. Serving drinks, most likely, or h'orderves. Either way, it should be an easy task. There was nothing too strenuous about either of those tasks, save for being in a crowd. And as long as she could find a way out, she'd be fine. She just had to know where her exits were, that's all.

Just then, her Mistress walked into the room. She wore a simple brown shirt and blue jeans, and was carrying around a duster. She looked at Kat, smiled, and said, "Hey sweetie. How goes it?"

"Good, Mistress," Kat responded, looking back to the bookshelf on the right. Surely something needed her attention there. Something that could get her out of a conversation. But it was too late, and her Mistress was by her side, petting her.

"That's good. Cobb says you've been working pretty hard all day," she said, pressing Kat against her bosom. "You want a reward? Some chocolate?"

"N-No thank You, Mistress," Kat said, blushing.

It didn't seem like her Mistress would let that slide, either. "Nope! You get a treat!"

At that, she gently pulled Kat with her and into the study, where she got a chocolate bar from her desk and snapped off a piece. Before Kat could even say a word, Mistress Alexa had put it in her open mouth.

Kat bit down in it, and sweet flavors of cocoa and a bitter hint of salt hit her tongue. She resisted it for a moment, but the more it melted in her mouth, the more she gave in to its soft, creamy taste. She purred happily to herself as her Mistress held her close.

"I need this party to go well," She said. "Like I said, I have a business deal relying on it. A very, very important business deal. So tomorrow night, you need to be on your best behavior, alright?"

Kat nodded and swallowed. "Yes Mistress."

"Do that for me, and I'll give you a whole bar of chocolate, all for yourself. You want that?"

Kat thought about it as a warm smile spread across her face. "Yes please, Mistress."

"Then be a good girl for me tomorrow, alright?"

Kat nodded. "Of course Mistress. But Mistress, what exactly will I be doing?"

Mistress Alexa let Kat go, and Kat knelt before Her as She hummed. "Serving drinks, mostly. Fetching things, if anyone asks for them. Refilling people's glasses. Cobb will deal with the food, so you don't need to worry about dinner."