1|The Promise

(Warning: Physical and Verbal Harm or Bullying)

A young boy fell down to the ground due to a harsh shove caused by an oppressive force from someone. His knees and palms met with the rough surface of grass, dust and rocks, and they lightly tore open his skin.

He felt the stinging pain of scraping his hands and knees. The boy hissed from the intrusion of the earth's solid minerals into his open wounds. He quickly turned his neck to see the face of the one responsible for this torment. When he locked eyes with whoever it was, they widened in fear for it was them again. The group of children that were around his age who often caused him pain and misery - his bullies.

"Watch where you're going Junkyu." Doyoung hissed. "You're already useless and now you might be also blind. That would double your uselessness."

Doyoung is Junkyu's cousin, also his number one bully. Junkyu was older than him but the younger had no ounce of respect for him at all. Junkyu doesn't know nor understand what he had done to Doyoung for him to hate on him so much. Maybe it was because Junkyu was the son of the chief of their tribe which makes Junkyu next in line to be their future chief, their future leader. Maybe Doyoung did not want that and wanted the position for himself instead. At least that is what Junkyu's young mind can come up with for now.

"Hey! Stupid! We're talking to you. First you're blind and now you're deaf?" Doyoung added, snapping Junkyu out of his thoughts.

Junkyu made no reply from his words. He turned his gaze away from Doyoung and back towards the ground.

"Your cousin is now probably a mute too, Doyoung. Just look at him. So scrawny and so pathetic." A different voice said. Junkyu recognized it was Mashiho.

"He's probably adopted. No way can this be the son of the great and strong chief Sunho." Haruto inserted. He threw a demeaning glare towards Junkyu who remained on the ground.

Although Junkyu didn't look directly at them, he could feel their burning gazes that drilled holes through his skull.

"I know right? Maybe, his Mom couldn't give birth to the chief's real son and somehow found this sad scrawny excuse of a cousin from somewhere." Doyoung commented. "How will he even protect and lead this tribe in the future with that body? I mean the chief couldn't even save his wife even with all his strength and skills."

Junkyu's hands formed into fists, clutching onto either grass or dirt as their words dug into his head and his heart. They can abuse him, or torture him, or hurt him as much as they want. But when it came to his mother it made him angry. He tried to drown them out. He didn't want to hear what else they had to say. He soon felt a kick to the side of his stomach. This caused him to roll over and lay on his side. He curled his body as the pain of the blow throbbed and like burned the area that had been hit. He wheezed and grunted then heard the sound of their laughter invading his ears.

"Ey, that was a strong kick Doyoung! You're so awesome!" Yedam praised.

"I want a turn too! Let me do a kick too!!" Whined Jaehyuk, jumping up and down with a hand raised as if volunteering for something exciting.

"Me too! You can't have all the fun to yourself." Yoshi inserted.

"Guys, guys! We all get a turn to hit this useless thing." Doyoung announced, a smug smile on his face.

The joyous melody they made taunted his ears and that's when the tears he had been trying to hold were finally let lose from his eyes. He let his bangs of auburn hair cover his eyes so they would not see his tears. The ache in his heart worsened from the pain that continued to throb at his side and the pain that tortured his chest and mentality. He felt another hard kick which he was able to shield with his arms. Then there was another at his back. He felt a kick to his knee, a whimper came out Junkyu's mouth. He felt a foot stomped him by his shoulders. He felt the dust from whoever's boot that was, sprinkle all over him. Junkyu felt it all. The pain they all inflicted upon him. He could only curl there, helpless and accepting of his miserable life.