Chapter 1 - Beginning of the End

Since Yeonjuns was born, he followed the rules diligently, did exactly what people expected from him, never asked for anything in return.

And except for a few cheeky moments, Yeonjun was a polite and charming boy, the reason he was well liked among the angels. So he did what he was told, didn't argue, didn't make it difficult.

God wanted Yeonjun to love him? He did without questioning.

He wanted Yeonjun to trust in his plan? He did and even tried to convince everyone of the same.

He wanted Yeonjun to watch and help humans? He did it with absolute pleasure.

Yeonjun loved God, he believed and trusted him blindly, he admired all his work and how great it was to have a father who took care of him, who would be by his side and only want the best for him - who loved him unconditionally.

But who would've thought that unconditional love comes with conditions first? Who would have thought that love wasn't enough to forgive? For something Yeonjun couldn't control? For having a heart?

♡♡♡

"Yeonjun! Stop wandering around you rascal!" one of the caretaker shouts. "You can't just walk into any rooms here. That's a sacred place."

The woman runs after him and tries to pick him up, but Yeonjun is a little faster and giggles as he rounds a corner.

"Dear God," the woman begs helplessly, "please give me strength to survive this child."

Yeonjun sprints into another room, until he finds himself halting abruptly to stare at a giant round table that's standing in the middle. The room itself is dimmed, illuminating the light of the table and the walking figures on the screen.

After stepping closer, Yeonjun gets on his tiptoes to watch in fascination what the surface of the table shows.

"There you are." the woman exhales in relieve and moves to his side, wanting to pick him up but stopping as soon as she notices his intrigued eyes.

Yeonjun points at the table with his small hand, eyes wide in fascination. "What's that?"

She smiles and crouches down, touching the display and zooming out of a building. "Those are humans. We are looking after them and make sure they follow father's plan. Look."

Her hand moves swiftly to zoom in on a few children playing outside in the park, chasing each other with loud laugher.

"Sometimes they need a little help when they can't move on from something that hurt them. Or we stop something from hurting them in the first place - Though, most of the time, that's inevitable."

"How?"

"We give them a little hope."

Yeonjun makes a small sound of acknowledgement, then looks back after he hears the the laugher becoming brighter, shouting "I got you." and "Your turn."

Just in time, he notices a boy around his age giggling with cute dimples, causing Yeonjuns heart to beat faster.

Pointing at him in particular, he asks "Who is that?"

"Aah, that's Choi Soobin, he's just as racy as you are."

Yeonjun giggles cheekily and feels his heart warming at the sound of Soobin laughing carefree. There's something about him that enchants Yeonjun, he simply can't look away from him.