Chapter 3 - Near, but not close

Sooyoung storms into the bakery, startling Yeonjun and a customer, who's currently buying some bagels. "Yeonjun! You won't fucking believe this! Mina just told me that Somi cheated on her. Can you believe it? What a whore!"

Yeonjun widens his eyes and slowly hands the man his change with a weak smile.

"Oh! Hello, Mr. Lee." Sooyoung says once she gets to Yeounjuns side, fishing out a donut before taking a large bite, hoping onto the counter behind her. "How are the kids? Doing well in school?"

Mr. Lee gives her a disapproving look and takes the money along with the paper bag, not replying to her, turning round with a shake of his head.

"Alright!" Sooyoung says with a bright grin, shouting with a cheerful voice as he opens the door to leave. "Have a wonderful day! Greet Mrs. Lee from us."

After he's gone, Sooyoung chuckles and takes another bite of the donut. "He so hates me."

"Why is he still buying his bagels here?" Yeonjun asks with an amused smile, leaning his hip against the counter beside the cash register.

"Because," Sooyoung says and stops for the dramatic effect, stuffing her mouth full with the remaining part of the donut, that could've been easily several bites. "I hab-", she swallows first, "I have the best pastries in the entire village. I don't want to sound too narcisstic, but people call me the baking god around here."

Yeonjun snorts and repeats the term "baking god." under his breath, finding it very ridiculous. He turns back around and adjusts the desserts in the display glass now that the donut in the middle is missing. "So Somi cheated?"

"Oh! Right! Somi cheated!" Sooyoung proceeds to tell the entire story while Yeonjun listens with a disappointed sigh, eyebrows furrowing.

"I was really rooting for them."

"I know! Me too." She whines with the last two words. "What a shame. There's no love in this world."

"Ah, don't say that." Yeonjun says with a sad, but hopeful - always so hopeful - smile. "I don't want you to believe such thing."

Sooyoung smiles softly at him. "You're such a sweetheart, Yeonjun. Soobin is one lucky bastard." she hops off the counter and prepares herself a coffee. "Do you really have to go to Seoul in a few days?"

Yeonjun grins and glances at her. "No offense, but I want to go to Seoul more than anything else. And I overstayed me welcome anyway. Eunchae and Taeyung already have a child to care for."

"I doubt you're bothering them in any way." Sooyoung pouts slightly. "Eunchae always praises you for helping around the house, and Minjun won't stop talking about you with that stupid dad-smile either. You're basically a part of their family now."

Yeonjun can't help but feel the joy in his heart when she states that. And in some way, it feels like a family for him too. He loves spending time with them - is it by helping Eunchae in the garden or learn from Taeyung how to cheat in a card game. Even Minjun has taught him many things... like how to make the biggest mess in the house with the most basic ingredients.

"Do you know what you'll do after you arrive in Seoul?"

Yeonjun shrugs his shoulders. "I'll figure something out."

Sooyoung looks at him worried. "Seoul isn't like Jukdo, though. It's much bigger and the people don't know each other that well. You have to seriously take care of yourself."

"I'll be fine." Yeonjun says confidently. "And don't look at me like that. I may not look like it, but I can fight pretty well."

Sooyoung snorts. "You're right, you don't look like it."