𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 1

Sabrina Pov

I sat in the waiting room on the plush and furry white chair staring at the large TRUEBEAUTY magazine sign. I looked out the window,  I have been here for 24 minutes exactly, just studying the behavior of the other employees. Learning to mimic it. I looked down at my outfit one more time. 

I compared it to a few other women and it looked like it matched the "TRUE BEAUTY aesthetic". 

I fiddled with my Cartier bracelet, spinning it around my wrist, watching the gold catch the light. It was a nervous habit I had developed. It was a good luck charm to me. For some reason, I always kept it on. Maybe good luck from the little girl who gifted it to me, or maybe because I don't want to buy a 600$ screw driver.

I have done a lot of things, and moved a lot of places. I guess you can say I've lived a thousand lives in 22 years. That's a bit dramatic, but closer to accurate than not. 

I was born in a small city in Turkey. I don't remember all of it, I was young when we moved. I wasn't old enough to experience the beauties of it, but my parents made sure we were always immersed in our culture. 

I still draw wishes on paper and bury them under a rose tree in the evening for Hıdrellez. Most of them are addressed to my mom.

Then I moved to America, to Connecticut of all places. One day, I'll go back to Turkey.

For now, I was taught to save all of my money, to be able to fit in where I need to. I like to be able to have options, and sometimes spoil myself.

I took that true to heart, and after getting a fake ID and running away, my first job after I began living on my own was an au pair in Seattle, one of my favorite jobs. I didn't much like children, which was the center of the job, unfortunately. 

The family was a mess though.

So was mine, so who am I to judge.

The little girl's mother, a widowed socialite and closet alcoholic, was responsible for half my wardrobe. She always threw stuff at me that she had outgrown and gave me a credit card because her friends couldn't see the nanny in "worn out" clothes. After raising the daughter she never noticed, it was time to leave. I spent 3 months with Emma, and wonder how she's doing often.

For this place, I owe her. Looking around, it seems I need to keep up a nice and luxurious appearance.

----::----

I'm desperately trying to unscramble my thoughts, mostly because I'm admittedly a bit nervous.

I need to pull it together. now

I haven't decided my new persona quite yet. I needed to have a look around at these women. I looked around at the building, a beauty publishing office. Plastered all over the wall were pictures of a blonde haired woman holding awards for her best selling beauty products and magazines. I raised my eyebrows.

Self-centered woman, I thought to myself. The angel on my shoulder interrupting me, stop judging by a cover, Sabi.

"You are not a miserable person, you are not a miserable person", I whispered an affirmation to myself. Maybe if I say it enough, I can manifest it true.

I was a little unsure how this Broadway production I was about to put on would play out. I knew nothing about writing or beauty at all. I do know how to fake confidence. I spent an entire night on this website so I could slide some subtle connections in. If I got this job, I would have to read every blog on google to be able to write my own. This job didn't seem like that bad of a place.