Chapter Thirty-One

Allison's Point of View

''The way they treated her was horrible,'' I speak up. I look at Harry and Dumbledore and saw Harry nod his head. 

''I wanted to pull you both out to take in what we have seen before we continue on from where we left off,'' Dumbledore tells us. 

I look at him before looking at Harry who was standing next to me. I grab Harry's hand and pull him back up towards the pensive. 

''Are you both ready to resume?'' Dumbledore asks looking between the two of us. I nod my head and step forward. We all bow our heads and re-enter the memory.

We arrived back in the memory where we left off. Merope was in her corner rubbing her neck and Gaunt looking at Odgen expectedly.

''So, don't go talking to us like we are dirt on your shoes. We come from generations, of  Purebloods, Wizards, a lot more than you can say,'' Gaunt tells Odgen like he won the argument.

''Mr Gaunt, neither your ancestors nor mine have anything to with the matter at hand,''  Odgen tells him. 

''I am here because of  Morfin, Morfin and the Muggle he accosted last night. Our information is that Morfin performed a jinx or hex on said Muggle, causing his skin to erupt in painful hives,'' Odgen says Gaunt having to look down at the parchment to remind him what Morfin had done.

Morfin giggles causing Gaunt to turn to him. ''Be quiet boy,'' Gaunt sneers at him causing Morfin to quiet down.

Gaunt then looks back to Odgen. ''So what if he did? I expect you've wiped the Muggle's filthy face clean for him and erased his memory,'' Gaunt waves it off.

''That's hardly the point is it, Mr Gaunt,'' Odgen raises his eyebrows.  ''This was an unprovoked attack on a defenceless Muggle,''  Odgen continues.

''I had you pegged as a Muggle-lover the moment I saw you,''  Gaunt sneers at Odgen.

''Thi discussion is getting us nowhere. It is clear from your son's attitude that he feels no remorse for his actions,'' Odgen then looks down at his parchment. 

''Morfin will attend a hearing on the fourteenth of September to answer the charges of using magic in front of a Muggle and causing harm and distress to that same Muggle,''  Odgen reads out loud. 

As Odgen was about to continue he was interrupted by the jingling and clopping of horses and loud laughter drifting through the window. 

I watch with eyebrows raised as Gaunt's eyes widen and Morfin hisses and narrows his eyes turning to look at the window. I also saw Merope perk up her face ghostly white. 

''My god what an eye saw,'' I heard a random woman call out from outside. ''Couldn't your father have that hovel cleared away, Tom?'' The same voice speaks up again.

''It's not ours,'' comes a male's voice.  ''Everything on the other side of the valley belongs to us, but that cottage belongs to an old tramp called Gaunt, and his children. The son's quite mad, you should hear some of the stories they tell in the village,'' the guy Tom continues. 

I hear the girl laugh and their laughter gets louder and louder the closer they get to the cottage. I look to Morfin when I see him start to rise out of his chair but something Gaunt said in Parseltounge had him sitting back down.

''Tom?'' I hear the girl ask in confusion. ''I may be wrong but has somebody nailed a snake to that door?''

''Good lord you are right,'' Tom speaks up. ''That'll be the son, I told you he's not right in the head. Don't look at it Cecelia darling,'' I hear Tom speak up.