Method: Wake Back To Bed

The wake back to bed method (sometimes called Wake Induced Lucid Dreaming or W.I.L.D. Method) is supposedly the surest method to retain consciousness when falling asleep. I have only tried this a few times, and honestly it has never worked. But there are many, MANY people this has worked for, so it very well could work for you.

During this method, as the name describes, you wake up some hours after you first fall asleep, do a minor task to gain consciousness, then fall back to sleep while retaining awareness. Here are the steps:

1. Note when you often fall asleep. Set an alarm within the 3-4 hour range later, so your REM cycle is disturbed during the dream phase of your sleep. This is important! Since you have to be interrupting your dream.

2. Wake up. When the alarm goes off, turn it off and drink some water. Walk a few steps around your room. Some instructions say to go to eat something or go to the bathroom. This is to regain some consciousness again, so that when you return to your dream you can realise where you are. This should be longer than 2 minutes, but no longer than 10.

3. Go back to sleep. After you've regained a sense of your reality, lie back down and think of your dream. Imagine everything that was happening, and recreate it around you. Walk back in to where you left off. It should be very simple from there to realise that the world around you is a dream, and that you have control over everything.

If you weren't dreaming when you awoke, relax so that your body falls asleep, but your mind is awake. Then imagine your dream according to what you want to do. Where are you? Who is there? What does it feel like? List off everything in your mind, slowly imagining your surroundings. Then just... drift off. Keep as much awareness as you can while you fall asleep.

Thanks for reading!