Chap. 7

YOUR POV: 

I had been working all night. Soon after Jesse's call, the boys got up and decided to help. Vance almost cried when I told him Jesse called. Apparently he hadn't called before, and was in the basement way before Vance was. I felt sorry for him. He didn't deserve that. 

We decided we should wait for the next call together. But it took around eight hours for that broken a*s phone to ding once again. 

'RING' 

Vance ran over to it, as we stood around him. "Jesse? Jess is that you?" he asked frantically, and the voice on the other end sighed. It was quiet, maybe a bit timid. "I'm sorry man, but I don't think that's my name..." 

"Adam Marks?" Bruce asked, his eyes widened in shock. Adam was on Bruce's baseball team, and was really good at second base. 

"Yeah, I think that's me! Adam.. I'm Adam.." 

"Yes you are! Now Adam.. can you help us?" 

"Uh yeah, I think. That window, the one you guys use to check the weather, is an escape route. I had figured out that" 

"We tried that. Months ago." Billy whispered, and Adam sighed. 

"Sorry. Everything's a little fuzzy. Listen, The Grabber won't be home in three afternoons from now. Look for that midday light, then set your plan. I can't make it for ya, and considering my state of mind... I can't help ya" Adam whispered, and we nodded, Bruce mentally taking notes. 

"Oh wait! I remember! There's a bike lock on the door that belonged to quiet kid. Yeah, the codes on the wall somewhere, except I don't remember where.." 

Then he hung up, as Billy shot up, a comical lightbulb practically ontop his head like a halo. "I remember that! It was there!" he pointed to a wall, where we all searched for the faded writing. 

Finally, after hours of searching, we checked different walls. If we were ever going to leave here, we needed the lock to actually get out. But all we could focus on was the ruckus of harsh footsteps upstairs. 

They weren't his footsteps though. No, they were somebody elses. They seemed to belong to maybe a guest, a spouse, somebody different. Somebody who wasn't here before. But who? 

After a while, Griffin looked up at me. We were searching the same wall, right next to each other, practically cheek-to-cheek. My face burned, as he looked at me. "Listen, Y/n, this is going to be super awkward, and I'm sorry for that" he mumbled, and I stared at him in concern. 

"Well, what is it Griff? you know you can tell me anything" I smiled, trying to hide a sense of excitement peeking through my voice. 

"I- uh.. I really like you. Like, in the like like way." he smiled, saying 'like' one too many times, as I stared at him in disbelief. 

"Oh I know you don't feel the same way, forget it. Forget I said anything." 

"No Griff I do! I really do!" I said, smiling as he shuffled closer. 

My heart melted as Griffin Stagg kissed me.