- | INTERUPTIONS & RAYEM | -

A loud symphony of screeching wood and clicking metal brings me out of the distant memory.

One side of the huge barn doors open allowing all the bright lights of the castle to flood in reaching the darker hidden corners of the building.

A humanly shadow cast a contrast on the newly introduced light m. I didn't turn around, I knew exactly who it was before they even took a breathe. Rayem , my best friend. My brother.

"Mother says it's time you come in." He says, his familiar smooth voice echoed through out the open barn. With uttering another word, Ray made his way over the creaking floor boards and up the chipping ladder. Carefully placing his hands to avoid any splinters.

He sat himself next to me, giving a friendly nudge to signify his arrival. We sat in silence staring down on the city below allowing the wind to dance through our dark chocolate locks, allowing it to flow against my back and his to slightly above his ears.

You could tell we were siblings as we shared many traits. The famous Falsk chocolate brown lightly waved hair, the same average button shaped nose and we share the same eyes. Dark Smokey grey, like the smoke residue of a briefly snuffed out fire. Our fathers eyes.

"Who did hear me, did you not?" The question teetering over to a statement accompanied by a sharp raise of his eyebrow. My eyes rolled like clockwork to his question. Of course I had heard him, but something about defying my mothers illiberal wishes just brand forth a small spark of joy.

"Of course I did, but I tuned out when you mentioned Mother." I replied, which gave Ray the turn to roll his eyes with a chuckle. To be completely honest we didn't hate our mother.

There was respect but no real connection. That was kind of how our family was. It stood the same for my father, an authoritarian figure who ruled both our kingdom and our family the same, harshly.

As for my brothers it was a different story, we were much closer. Sure they had their darker side, more deviant and twisted like our father but I know I truly love them as they do me.

"You know what she's like with her little parties, especially with tomorrow's big event, Ven," ahh yes the big event. This big event dearest brother was talking about was the newly founded Meladonia Ball.

A ball in which Augustina's royal family were sent an invitation to. A ball to signify harmony between the two kingdoms. A ball In which I am most definitely certain has some sinnister twist to. Especially when the idea comes directly from my Mother and Father, the Dark King and Queen themselves.

Trust is leverage.

A saying that sings its way throughout my family history, like a sweet melody to play deadly warning. Which means, to trust is to turn your back on an open blade. Anyone can be your enemy so trust no one. Some of the only lessons my father ever gave us.

Rayem wrapped his in calloused hand around my wrist and pulled me off the ledge we sat on. With a small thud to the ground from the small distance we jumped, Ray took less than a second regain his posture and continued his strut, dragging me with him.

He wasn't harmful with his grasp but it was steady enough to keep me trailing behind him. We ducked and weaved through the busied servants as they bustled around with the extra task.

Zipping through the slightly crowded halls we let go of each other to dodge a group of maids carrying tall stacks of easily breakable polished dinner plates.

Had I been with any other brother whether it be Altas or even Argo they would not have been able to resist the urge of tripping one of the poor maids. I had convinced myself Ray was nicer than them, but seeing the glint in his eyes as he looked back , something tells me he was simply too focused on his current task.