Wattpad Original
There are 19 more free parts

Chapter 12 - The Vault

Bastian found me in my room ten minutes later. I'd cooled off some. Had time to process what he was asking of me. I wasn't someone who reneged. But now I understand why he'd offered to fix my apartment. While I didn't know what he was magically capable of, something told me the effort to clean everything up was as valuable as he's claimed.

"Picking your outfit for tonight?" he asked from the doorway, leaning against the frame.

"No," I lied, shuffling through the closet. I'd brought a wide variety of things from my apartment. Comfortable clothes, like leggings and T-shirts, some jeans and blouses, and a slew of other items like dresses, shorts, and going out tops. What did one wear to a place like The Vault?

"I'd recommend something you can dance in," he reiterated, as if reading my mind.

I exhaled. We both knew that despite my earlier reaction, I was going through with this. "Fine. I'll need a little time to get ready."

"No problem, Sugar. You good with chicken and rice for dinner? Got any dietary restrictions I should know about?"

"Yes and yes. But chicken and rice is fine."

"What's the restriction?" He sounded genuinely curious.

"I've got a dairy intolerance," I admitted. "It's why I use heavy cream in my coffee. It's low in lactose. Tara always has my drinks made with either almond milk or heavy cream at Awake."

"Huh. I'll keep that in mind. So...you can't do milk at all then?"

"Oh, I can. Believe me, I'm an ice cream fiend. I just...small amounts, you know?"

"Otherwise, I'll have to put caution tape around the bathroom?"

"Oh my god!" I practically choked. "Can you please leave so I can get dressed?"

He grinned and walked out.

"Seriously," I mumbled to myself, hiding my smile. "What the hell?"

I slammed the door shut and locked it so he wouldn't drop in again, then planned my outfit. Bastian wanted me to dance, which meant tight mini dresses and skirts were out unless I wanted to show off my undies. I needed something I could move in.

I picked out a cute, leather skater skirt that came up to my belly button. It had built in spandex shorts, perfect for what I needed. It made me feel like a cheerleader every time I wore it. Then I grabbed my shimmery silver tank top, relieved that I'd found it earlier among the mess of clothes in my apartment, unspoiled. It had a drapey cowl neck in front, with a built in bra so my boobs didn't pop out. Its spaghetti straps were embellished with clear beads, and the back scooped low like a ballerina top. The bottom half hugged my ribs and stomach, cutting off an inch above the skirt.

I finished everything off with a pair of black, studded booties, adding three inches to my height. In front of the mirror, I turned to different angles, ensuring I'd gotten it right. Yep, I understood the assignment. Black and silver were a perfect combination. Just enough to be eye catching, but not too much. I didn't need flashy colors when I had pink hair. That would draw plenty of attention.

I spent the rest of my time in the bathroom, curling a few front strands into beachy waves, putting the rest into a messy bun. I wanted to show off my back, after all. I added gold shimmer to my eyeshadow, making my hazel eyes pop. I did the contours of my makeup, highlighting my bone structure, then settled on a deep, maroon lipstick, which I'd apply after dinner.

One last look in the mirror and I was ready.

Bastian's cooking hit me as soon as I opened my door. I hesitated, inhaling. How did someone make chicken and rice smell so good? I strode through the house, my boot heels clomping on the wood floor, announcing my arrival.