Chapter 9 Masters of the Sky

The Thundering Massive was so close now Celia could see the white layer of snow covering the higher parts of the steep slopes. What she couldn't see were the peaks. The dark clouds covered the sky completely. It seemed like the mountains never ended and kept going up until infinity.

"Are you certain we can do it?" Theo asked, his face even paler than usual when he was staring at the intimidating mass of black clouds. The lightning illuminated the sky from time to time, and the thunder followed soon after.

Celia gulped, the cold sweat sliding down her spine. "We have to give it a shot. Do you think Percy can do it?"

"If we don't get struck by lightning or crash at those peaks we can't see, I say have a decent chance of survival," he said in a cheery voice, but his face remained solemn, and his brow knitted.

"Captain!" Lyra yelled from the crow's nest, lowering a spyglass. "There are three ships at the foot of the mountains."

"More Chief's ships?"

"No, those sail under the Raised Cities Confederation flag!"

"Government ships here?" Theo gasped. "What business do they have here?"

"Don't know and don't care." Celia shrugged. "They can stay down there all they want while we fly right over their head and cross the mountains." She put a hand on Theo's arm and squeezed it gently. "It's time. Are you ready?"

"As ready as I'd ever been." He sighed and patted her hand. "Make sure everyone on the main deck is securely fastened to something solid. It will be a rough ride if we want to sail through that storm."

"You don't have to worry about us. Make sure all is working perfectly down there."

Theo nodded and slowly walked to the stairs leading under the deck, his metal enhancers clanking softly at the wooden deck.

"Theo, wait!" Celia called and whistled loudly.

A blue-gold blur fell from the mast right onto her outstretched arm. "Hi Boss!" the parrot squawked.

"Sir Prancer, I need you to go under the deck with Theo."

"Crackers?"

Celia rolled her eyes and fished a crumbled piece of biscuit from her pocket. "Here. Now go, and stay there until Theo says it's safe to come out."

"Yes, Boss!" The bird jumped into the air and landed on Theo's shoulder.

The man winced. "Seriously? Now I must keep this ship going and babysit your pet?"

"You know he's scared of thunder. He'll be a good boy, right, Sir Prancer."

"Good boy!" confirmed the parrot bouncing up and down.

Theo mumbled some inaudible curse and trodded down the stairs, disappearing in the gloom under the deck.

After ensuring the ship wheel was locked, Celia left the helm and strolled towards the bow. "Listen up, everyone! This is the moment all of us dreamed of for so long. Those mountains are the only thing separating us from the New World! The only obstacle left." She moved her gaze from one face to another. All of them were fearful but hopeful too. "I know it's not looking great and that weird clouds are not helping, but have courage. We've come so far already, and I'll be damned if I let this piece of fluff stop me from chasing my dreams!"

Several people laughed nervously and raised their fists in the air.

"We've been through a lot, guys, and I'm confident we'll get through this challenge as we always do." Celia raised her arm and pointed to the intimidating mountains. "And I'm sure the freedom is right there. So let's get out there and claim our freedom!"