Chapter 12 Reminder

It took a good couple of hours before Percy could be securely tugged behind the Tide Runner. In the meantime, Rhody, Theo and the other engineers ran temporary hull repairs to ensure the ship was not taking water and could be safely pulled along. Sadly, the engines were busted and needed more than a patch-up, so the crew was truly at the mercy of government ships.

Luckily, despite Celia's worries, Gabriel took the contract seriously. Her crew was immediately given the medical attention they needed, but no one pushed their way to Percy's deck. With all the grumbling of the admiral, the man seemed to make peace with the lordling's decision of truce between them. Against all odds, they were safe. At least for now. But Celia couldn't help her foul mood. She couldn't help feeling trapped, like a wild animal shoved into an enclosure, and though it was spacious enough to be comfortable, it was still a cage. An overwhelming scent of antiseptics hanging in the air wasn't helping either.

A sharp pain in her ankle brought Celia back from her gloomy thoughts, and she hissed, gripping the edge of the narrow bed tighter.

"Does it hurt here, ma'am?" the young medical attendant asked, moving her feet slightly.

"No, it tickles," she growled through clenched teeth.

The young man paled, and his long fingers visibly trembled. "I'm so sorry. Luckily nothing is broken. It's just a sprain. I'll bandage it for you, and if you let it rest for a week, you should be good as knew."

Celia scoffed. "You think I have the luxury to rest for a week?"

"I... I didn't mean...." The man cowered under her angry voice. He probably never treated a criminal before. She could see in his innocent face and wide eyes that he believed all the rumours people spread about cruel and merciless pirates like her.

"Boss." Zed's low voice rumbled through the small medical room. "Leave him be. He's just a kid doing his job."

Celia sighed and rolled her eyes. "Fine. I'm sorry, mate. My ship just got wrecked, so I'm not very happy now. But thank you for patching up my crew and me."

The young man relaxed visibly and gave her a weak smile. "There's nothing to apologise for. Your anger is understandable, but I'm only doing my job. Here, all done."

"Thank you." Celia put on her high leather boot back. She tightened her laces securely so her injured foot would be kept stiff and not wobble too much, giving a bit of relief. Well-made shoes were always worth all the money. She nodded to Zed, and they left the small, cramped room. Just outside, two armed soldiers waited for them, their faces scrunched up with a frown.

"We're all done and ready to return to our ship," Celia announced. She didn't like Tide Runner much. It was typical steamship─all steel, cold and efficient, but without any personality. Without a soul. Just a tool in the hands of people playing their power games.

"Not yet," a taller man replied stiffly. "Lord Letchford wishes to see you in his quarters."

"Of course he does." Celia sighed. "Lead on then. Not like I have a ship to run."

The soldiers ignored her remark and led them toward the stern while Celia looked around curiously. Tide Runner was bigger than Percy and could also host more people. They only stayed on the crew deck, which held the infirmary and medical rooms, as well as most of the crew's living quarters. Everything here was clean and orderly. The Captain must have kept a tight grip on the whole staff. But when they were passing a lounging area, where those whose shift ended gathered and relaxed, she heard laughs and rattle of dice. She smiled. Even on this stuck-up ship, people were still people─they gambled, cursed and argued. It was refreshing to see that, after following the prim, perfect soldiers around Tide Runner.