Chapter 18 Turncloak

The next couple of weeks passed in a blur. Celia had no idea where Chief moved his base, but she knew how the Plunderers and other cartels operated. Over the years she spent as Chief's Lieutenant, she learned about the most lucrative smuggling passages, the best trade routes to jump merchant ships and the most lucrative places in Iron Shore to rob with the priciest loot and the lowest risk of getting caught. She put all that intel to work in her plan to purge pirates from Iron Shore.

Despite Admiral Wolferstan's lack of support, she still had a heavily armed ship, thanks to Gabriel's influence, while Percy was getting fixed in the drydock. And she had enough trustworthy people in her crew to fight against her former comrades.

Today was no different. Celia walked the deck of an inconspicuous-looking merchant ship that she immediately recognised as one of the Plunderers' fleet. Catching up to her and threatening their way onboard was child's play. Smugglers didn't work on heavily armed ships, so they couldn't put up much of a fight. They posed as merchants and counted on their false papers to keep the Law Enforcers off their backs. But Celia knew most of them; painting the ships over or changing their names was not enough to fool her. And now, thanks to Gabriel, she had the authority under the law to apprehend them and drag them to face Law Enforcers.

The smugglers' crew was already stripped from their weapons and had their hands tied. Zed stood with his big rifle on his shoulder next to Drew Goldthumb, the contrabandists' leader. Celia gave a lanky man a sweet smile. They knew each other for a long time, though they never worked directly together. Drew gained his nickname for his fantastic instinct for finding goods in the highest demand. Mostly arms and alchemical ingredients, but also mundane things like rare fish or fruits imported from the far ends of the High Seas.

When Drew spotted her, his bushy dark brows knitted, and he spat at the deck.

"De Visher! I've heard you turned your back on the Plunderers, but I didn't believe it."

"I did not turn my back on you. I wanted Chief's support for my new project, but he refused." Celia shrugged. "He's the one who forced my hand."

The smuggler scoffed. "I get the feud with Chief, but this?" Goldthumb turned his head to look at the red flag adorned with eight golden stars flying on Celia's ship, and his face contorted with hatred. He glared back at her. "Being the government's lapdog? It's low even for you."

Celia cocked her head and smiled. "And why is that? Working for a cartel or government isn't that different, after all. Both parties have a lot in common, you know. Like, screwing over honest people of Iron Shore, making sure they have only enough to survive another day, but not too much to try to change anything. But perks from the government are better, so...."

"You're an idiot, de Visher. Government don't give a rusting metal chip about you. You are their dog, but only because you're useful. Do you think they will reward you for doing their dirty work?" Drew spat again. "They might promise you riches and access to higher levels, but as soon as you stop being useful, they will put you down. Because that's what you do with rabid dogs."

Zed growled and clenched his fist, but Celia raised her hand to stop him. Her crew shuffled nervously because Drew's words hit a nerve. They all knew they walked on thin ice, but if Celia acknowledged that the smuggler's argument annoyed her, the doubts would only spread wider.

So she did what she always did best. She smiled charmingly and leaned closer to Drew. "Do you want to know a secret, Goldthumb?" she asked in a theatrical whisper. "I'm not really working for the government. That's right. They might think I'm their dog, but I'm no dumb mutt. The truth is, I'm using them because it suits me at the moment. You know me, I always have a plan. And as soon as my agenda is fulfilled...." She snapped her fingers. "I'm gone with the wind. And neither Chief nor government will stop me."

Drew looked at her for a moment as if he were trying to discern if she was serious, and then he cackled. "Oh, de Visher. You think you are so smart, don't you? Do you think you can cross Chief and get away with that?"

Celia crossed her arms. "I'm pretty sure I just did."

"No, you dumb gull. You were just a hindrance when you stole the ship and ran away. An annoying lieutenant who has gone rogue. Chief might have overlooked that and let you be, as pursuing you were not worth the cost. But that was not enough for you." Drew shook his head and laughed. "No, you had to run to the government to sell all his secrets. To give away our hideout location! Do you know how much time we wasted on relocating?"

"Oh right, about that. Where exactly did you relocate? I'm just dying to know."

Drew's face twisted, and he scoffed. "As if I tell you. Do you know what they call you now? Celia Turncloak. That's what you are. A rusting traitor. When you came after us, you became an enemy. And do you know what you do with annoying opponents?" This time Drew leaned closer to her. He stunk of sweat and cheap booze. "You send bloodshedders after them."

A shiver ran down Celia's spine at his words. Living in Iron Shore was brutal enough that there was not much need to hire highly skilled assassins. Usually, a few threats or visits from regular extortionists team were enough to keep people in check. There was also something charming in serving justice with your own hand; it was a very pirate thing.

But when things were getting out of hand, and cartel bosses wanted to get rid of someone for good, they hired bloodshedders. They might have originated as part of some criminal organisation, but as they evolved, they cut their ties with everyone and became independent. Despite their exceptional skills, they were scarcely used because their services were exorbitant. Even though they were a secretive bunch, one thing was well known. Once bloodshedders pick up the contract, they never fail to fulfil their part of a deal.

Regardless of Celia's effort, some of her emotions must have shown on her face because Goldthumb cackled.

"You didn't see that coming did you? Use your time wisely, Celia Turncloak, because they are coming for you." The smugglers and her crew started whispering nervously, stealing sideglances at the privateer.

Celia straightened her back and smirked. "I guess I should be flattered. To think that I become such a huge threat to Chief that he would send assassins after me. But you know what that means?" she raised her voice, speaking not only to the smuggler but also to all the gathered people. "That means Chief is desperate because he knows I'm onto him now. He can run and hide all he wants, but his time is running out."

"You can play cocky all you want," hissed Drew. "But you still have no idea where the new Plunderer's hideout is. And I ain't gonna tell you that."

"Oh, honey, I don't need you to tell me anything." Celia patted his cheek affectionately. "Why do you think I targeted especially Plunderers' ships? I don't need anyone to confess if I acquire enough captains' logs."

Goldthumb narrowed his eyes in annoyance but said nothing, his mouth drawn in a thin line.

"That's right," Celia continued with a sweet smile. "You can muddle the logs all you want, but if I have enough data, I can make an educated guess. After all, not many places in the vicinity of Iron Shore could host a huge cartel."

On cue, Abner approached them with a handful of notebooks and papers.

"Did you get it?" Celia asked, not taking her eyes from Goldthumb, whose face flushed red with anger.

"Aye aye, Captain. I think we have enough information now to pinpoint the exact location of the new Plunderers' base."

"Lovely. Let's get to work then."