Chapter 11 Parley

Celia narrowed her eyes, looking intently at the young man. Now that he mentioned this stupid nickname, he did seem vaguely familiar, with those innocent blue eyes and unruly blonde hair. She never spared him a thought in all years since that chance meeting. He was part of different times in her life. Happier times. But he was someone important, and she could use that.

She needed any leverage now.

Celia smirked. „I see they still leave you behind to guard the ship. I wouldn't say you got far despite all those years."

The man snorted and opened his mouth to respond, but the admiral harrumphed loudly.

"What is the meaning of this, my lord? This woman is a pirate and terrorist. I advise, for your own safety, to get back to the Tide Runner before things get bloody here."

"She's not a terrorist!" the young man protested.

"She literary holding her finger on a detonator trying to blast us all to bits," noticed the admiral in a dry tone.

"Well, he's got the point," Celia agreed. "But I wouldn't have to do that if you soldiers weren't aiming their rifles at us."

"Calm down, everyone!" the young man exclaimed. "Admiral, order your men to stand down. And you, little fish, take that bomb off you, please. None of this is necessary."

"You have no authority over me, my lord," the admiral said through clenched teeth. "You're a civilian on a military vessel, so it is you who should heed my orders."

"Yeah, I'm good too, thanks." Celia nodded, shifting more of her weight on her uninjured leg.

"That may be so, but I'm the one leading the entire expedition, and I say we need that woman and her crew to advance."

"Oh yes, you need me," Celia agreed. "I have no idea what you are talking about, but since we are so important, tell the stiff admiral to sod off."

"For the last time, sir." The admiral's face was red from anger, and a small vein pulsated on his forehead. "This woman is Celia de Visher, wanted for many crimes from arson and stealing to murder. There is a prize on her head for whoever brings her to justice."

"Oh? How much is it? Maybe I should consider turning myself in!" Celia quipped in.

Admiral continued ignoring her. "Is this a person you want to work with, my lord?"

The young man walked a few paces to stand between Celia and the soldiers. He looked at the admiral, his face determined and his back straight. "Look, admiral Wolferstan, I know it's not an ideal solution. In a perfect world, I would turn that woman in myself."

"Ouch! You wound me, lordling!" Celia rolled her eyes.

"But our world is not ideal, and quite frankly, it's dying. We've been here for months and barely made a dent in the mountains. We will never make it out of here if we keep this pace. Meanwhile, this woman and her crew flew boldly on this beautiful, heavily armed ship as if they were on a light cruising ship sailing from one platform to another."

"Yes, straight into Sky Guardians' domain." The admiral scoffed. "Served them right. That beautiful ship is a wreck now."

"They still survived, and that's more than anyone had done before," insisted the young man. "The ship has not sunk. It can be fixed and equipped with weapons more suited to deal with Sky Guardians. Hell, we can replicate their design and send out the whole flotilla of ships to finally make it over the mountains. Imagine it, admiral! Wouldn't you like to lead the first flying armada?"