Prologue

Annalise Black

I lay on my bed thinking. Nine months today since my dad died. I stumbled through six months of high school in a haze of grief so that Mom could say I graduated. Then I gave up and refused to see any of my friends. When my boyfriend Chris told me it was time for me to join the living again, I told him to hit the road.

Finally, my mom had had enough, so she packed up our belongings and moved us to England. She even registered me for college, but I never went. That was three months ago.

I think she thought being around family would help me. Maybe it has helped her, but me? I don't care where I die. I just know that I want to.

Dad and I were almost inseparable until he died. Now all I want is to be with him again. I haven't eaten in three days. Maybe today is the day my wish will come true, and I'll join my dad in death.

With that somewhat morbid thought in my mind, I drifted off to sleep.

Dream

"Annalise, my little raven," my dad's voice whispered from next to me.

It was dark, not even the moon could be seen, and I was on a dirt pathway. I looked down at my hand, which was small and gripped by a larger male hand. Looking up, I saw my father looking down at me, and I realized I was still a young girl.

"Lissie, it is time to let me go. I love you, but you must not mourn me anymore. My path has ended, but yours has not. You must live because the man with green eyes needs you. He needs you to walk the path of life with him. You will meet him soon." Then he disappeared.

End of Dream

I awoke with a jerk.

Sweat poured from my face and soaked my clothes.

I felt as if I was hyperventilating.

Stumbling out of bed, I grabbed a pen and paper. With my hands shaking so hard I could hardly write, I began writing my dream down. Looking at it in black and white made it seem even more real to me.

My Dad said there was someone out there, just for me, someone who NEEDED me. What would happen to this green-eyed man if I died? Would he live his life all alone because I wasn't there for him?

Would he marry someone just for companionship, not love, so that he wouldn't be alone?

I didn't have any answers, but I knew one thing. I was his, he was mine, and soon our paths would cross. I would make sure I was ready when they did.

So, with a determination I hadn't had in a long time, I staggered into the bathroom to shower and then dressed. I slowly made my way to the kitchen by holding onto the wall because I was so weak from lack of food. When I got there, I grabbed a bowl and spoon and fixed myself some cereal.

I was almost finished when I heard my mother say, "Annalise?"

I looked toward the doorway where she was standing, "I'm ready to join life again, Mom. I'm going to re-register for school and get my life back on track. I have a purpose on this earth, and it isn't time for me to leave it yet."

Mom came and hugged me, crying, "Oh Annalise, I am so happy. I have missed you. What brought this on, though?"

As mom wiped the tears from my face, I handed her the paper I had written my dream on. After reading it she looked up at me with wide eyes, whispering, "Your dad came to you in a dream?'

"Yeah. He made me realize that I do have a reason to live, and that's what I'm going to do."

Living again was my goal now, so first, I went back to school. There I made friends, and I also made up with my family.

After that, it became a waiting game. Waiting patiently for my green-eyed man to find me.