1

It was starting to get cold outside; I should really start using my coat more often. The cold used to be manageable, but lately...it hasn't. With my line of work, it tends to get colder.

I was a detective, and I managed to stay sane even with all the gruesome things I'd seen. How?

One word...

Francis.

He is the light in my life. The reason I get up every morning. He was the love of my life. I would do anything for him! I would die for him. Staring at him made living more manageable. I couldn't put my feelings into words, but I am glad he knows how I feel.

"Arthur, come hang out with us! You need to get out again!" Alfred spoke. He was standing beside Yao and Kiku, who also came to talk to me. They had been this way for the past month. Trying to get me to go out more often. They think I spend too much time with Francis. "No, not tonight; Francis and I are going to watch a movie," I explained. However, they seemed not to like the answer I gave.

I gestured for them to leave me so I could begin packing my things. Francis usually picked me up, so I didn't want to be late. As I packed up my things, I saw how they all watched me as I left.

I rushed out of the building, and he was waiting outside, as usual. He was a teacher, and since I got out at six or seven most days, he came to get me after I got out of work.

"Hey! Sorry I'm late!"

"Don't worry! Although, are you sure you want to spend time together again? Didn't you say your coworkers wanted to hang out?" he asked.

"Yes, but don't worry, they think I need to get out more, but honestly, I like spending time with you," I smiled. He looked at me nervously but nodded. "Alright then, if you say so," he spoke. We both began to walk beside each other, going toward my place.

Francis and I have been together for nearly five years, and I want to marry him. However, I'm not sure if he is ready for that kind of commitment. Especially recently, he seems odd, as if something has been bothering him. Deep down, I've been worried he wants to break up.

Maybe we do spend too much time together. I couldn't help it, though; I always wanted to be around him.

~
"I know you've been tired lately, so I made you some coffee," I smiled. I placed a mug in front of him, and he smiled. "Thank you; I appreciate it a lot!" He smiled. I sat beside him, drinking my tea, and I couldn't help but admire him. He was so beautiful to look at.

"How is work? Any new cases?" He asked.

"Ah, not really, which is good. It is terrible to say, but I've gotten used to all the death. It makes me sad sometimes; I guess it is a good reminder I'm not going crazy or have gotten to a point where I don't feel human anymore. If that makes sense?" I laughed. He nodded at me and smiled. "And it is okay to feel that way. People cope with things in their way," he smiled.

This is why I loved him so much. He always gave me the best advice. "I'm glad you understand. I know you were always worried about me being a detective, but I make good enough money for us!" I smiled.

KNOCK KNOCK!

The sudden knock on the door made me jump slightly. "I wonder who that could be," I spoke. He nodded at me, and I began to go toward the door.

I opened the door, looking around, but no one was there. "Who is it?" Francis asked. I looked around again, but I didn't see anyone again.

That's when I noticed a package on my front porch. I lifted an eyebrow, confused, and picked it up, inspecting it. It was a small box that was brown. It was slightly heavy, but I didn't shake it.

I looked around again and began to close the door with it in my hands. "What is that?" Francis asked. "I'm not sure; I'm going to open it, though," I spoke. He began to follow me into the kitchen, and I looked for a knife.

Francis watched me as I began to poke holes into the small box and ripped the tape that had it sealed. "What is it?" He asked again. I began to take out the contents, and it was a small calendar, an envelope, and ribbons.

"Weird..." I spoke. I began flipping through the calendar and saw a couple of dates circled. The ribbons were a baby blue color, and I began to look at the envelope. "You should open it," Francis spoke. "Yeah, I'm getting to it," I spoke. I rolled my eyes at him, and he continued to watch me.

I began to open the envelope and saw that the contents were....Polaroid pictures?

Hmm?

I flipped them over, and my stomach nearly fell to the ground. "HUUUUUHHH!" I gasped. I dropped the photos, and Francis came to me worried. "What? What were they?" He asked. I pointed at the photos, horrified, and he continued to ensure I was okay.

"They... they...." I couldn't say it.

The photos were gruesome. It was of a crime scene. A woman was lying on her back in grotesque positions. Her insides were pulled out, and blood was everywhere. "Who would send this to me?" I spoke.

I was horrified.

I couldn't stop shaking.

"Hey, it's okay; what were the photos?" He asked.

"It was of a dead woman," I spoke. His eyes widened, and he looked at me worried. "You need to tell someone! Report it!" He warned. However, I began to shake my head. "No! I will figure it out myself! Why would they send this stuff to me? They were a crazy person, and I was going to catch them.

If they sent this to me, I must be their target, which means I could be in danger. I was going to figure this out and take this person to jail.