𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐢𝐱

06. A Tiny War Within

★彡

𝐈𝐓'𝐒 𝐀𝐍 𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐃 𝐅𝐀𝐂𝐓 that Rain is not the best at dealing with his emotions. It's also a fact that he's dramatic and a right foul git when he feels he's been wronged— I mean, why do you think he's had this completely pointless long standing feud with Sirius Black for all of eight years?

Achilles has wronged him, repeatedly, without an explanation for exactly why, so he spells his bed to blow up and croak like a bullfrog any time he so much as tries sitting in it.

That's the first thing he hears of when he steps out of the dorms into the common room. "You don't understand, Evan. It was the funniest thing I've seen in my entire life. The bed just kept making the most horrible sound I have ever heard and I swear Kane was absolutely going to fucking explode -"

That's Barty Crouch Jr. speaking, and he cuts himself off with a wheeze. He clutches the shoulders of an annoyed looking Evan Rosier as they step out after him. "I know. Merlin, Barty, I was literally right there when it was happening. You don't need to recount the entire thing."

The corner of Rain's lips twitch in amusement, which quickly fades when both boys turn look at him. Barty starts to say something, grinning widely like he's about to break down from how amusing he finds this entire situation, but Rain looks away and quickly leaves the common room before any of that happens.

It's unfortunate, that no matter how fast he tries walking away, Barty ultimately catches up with him while he's in the process of leaving the Dungeons. Evan trails after him, sighing in an exasperated manner. "Was it you, Fairchild?" Barty asks.

Rain spares him a sideways glance, carefully maintaining a neutral expression as he answers. "I have no idea what you're talking about," he answers curtly, and then proceeds to speed up.

But Barty is relentless, and it's truly annoying. He catches up and inserts himself in the space next to Rain again, his eyes sparkling with a feral kind of amusement. Rain think he's a bit mad, to be honest. "No, I know you know what I'm talking about. I saw you walk out of our dorm room last night and I thought I hallucinated the whole thing because I was high as fuck-still am, to be honest-but now that I think about it, you're the only person who'd do something like that without being afraid of the consequences."

Barty steps around him and stops right in front of him-of course, Rain immediately stops and eyes him with disdain. Barty hardly appears to be fazed. "It was you. I know it was. I need you to teach me that spell, Fairchild."

From his side, Rain hears Evan sigh like he's regretting every single choice he's ever made. Rain relates with that sentiment. He crosses his arms in a manner he hopes is unfazed, because that is the farthest thing from what he's actually feeling right now. "How are you so sure that it's me who did whatever it is you're talking about?" He replies, then quickly adds. "And anyway, even I if it was me, I wouldn't arm you with such a thing because I know it'll come back to bite me in the arse later."

Barty's smile doesn't waver, and Rain feels like the more he continues to entertain this conversation, he'll end up trapped. It wouldn't be the first time Barty roped him into doing something he'd come to regret later ( He never speaks of The Incident from his fourth year. Even thinking about it makes him want to go back in time and strangle his younger self out of sheer embarrassment).