4. The People's Avenger

(m): - mentally - the characters' thoughts, what they say mentally.

   In the meantime, the ship had already sailed to its destination and stopped. All the slaves were divided into different sections. For example: in one room - in section 3B - were the ugliest - those slaves who are fit for hard physical work, because, there's no pity for them. In other sections there were also slaves who were divided into the best, second-rate, etc... They were all sitting on the floor with their hands tied behind their backs, and guards were standing around them watching them.
All the slaves sat in silence with drooping faces, because they knew what awaited them today... In the silence, only occasional conversations were heard from the guards.
A few hours later, a guard came down from the top floor of the section (which is just outside the entrance) holding the boy in his arms.
The baby put his head on his shoulder and closed his eyes.
John: Didn't you sleep well tonight, kid? - he addressed him when had already reached the very edge of the room section.
Boy: *answers him nothing, continuing to keep his eyes closed*
John: Hey, are you asleep yet?! - he asked and shook him a little, still holding him in his arms.
Baby: *No reaction*
John (m): Oh no... NO, NO, NO!!! I knew there was something in that water, but I didn't ask him about it then...
The man started walking a little faster, but not too fast, so as not to attract the attention of the other guards. When he reached the corner of the room, he carefully placed him there on the floor, with his back against the wall.
John: *slaps her thumbs lightly on his cheek* (began to speak in a whisper): Come on, wake up, please!!! Baby boy, if that's a joke, it's not funny at all!
But the boy still did not react to anything...
John: *tilts his ear to the child's face to listen to his breathing, then puts his palm on his heart, listening to the rhythm of his heartbeat. After that, he slightly raised his right hand, and, clasping two fingers at the wrist level, began to listen to the pulse on it* (m): Well, his breathing and heartbeat are normal, but his pulse is a little slow... I hope there were ONLY sleeping pills in that water... What to do? It will interfere with my plan!!!
The guard began to tickle the boy's stomach. After a few seconds, his eyelids began to shake. Seeing this, John continued to tickle him a little harder.
Boy: *opened his eyes and started laughing without making a sound*
{Because he is mute}
John: *seeing this, removes his hand from his stomach*
Baby(m): W-what's happening again? Where are we? Ah, we're already at the sale itself...
John: *whisper* Sorry about tickle, but you left me no choice, kid, I told you not to sleep and to stay awake for half an hour. If you fall asleep again, you won't hear my signal at the right moment.
But the baby's eyes began to close on their own again.
Baby(m): Oh man, it's not my fault I'm so drowsy, there were obviously sleeping pills in that water!(((
John: Do you think it's because of the water?
Baby: *nodded slowly a few times*
John: *whisper* Don't worry, you'll be fine, even if there was something else in there besides sleeping pills, it certainly wasn't poison, he wouldn't have killed you.
Baby(m): heh how ironic... If I had heard that phrase 3 hours ago, before he gave me hope that my life could go back to the way it was, I wouldn't have been happy at all, but now... it's a good thing there's no poison in it.
John: *continues to speak in a whisper* But in case there was something harmful for you, after we leave here, I will first take you to my friend. He is a doctor, a very good one, so he can easily determine from your condition exactly what was in that "water", and just examine you, because I think your health has deteriorated during all those years of this is the life. In the meantime, *put his hand on his head and began to stroke it gently* please hold on as long as you can to stay awake, okay, baby?
Baby: *nodded*
John: *stopped stroking him*
Only now did the boy notice that he was not sitting on the cold floor, because John had put him where he had laid some blanket beforehand.
Baby(m): mmm, it's so soft and warm and nice to the touch *started running his hand over the blanket near his feet* how nice it would be to just lie down now, curl up with it, and fall asleep... but I have to hold on!!!
*tries hard to keep his eyes open*
John: did you like that quilt so much?
Baby: *nodded, and for a few seconds smile*
John: ahah, if you want, you can take him with you later - he replied, smile back at the boy answer.
- And this baby is even prettier now that he's washed his hair and face," someone's sneering voice suddenly sounded.
It was Michael, who was at the very end of that section, far away from John and the boy, but after he said that phrase, started walking toward them.
Baby: *started to get a little worried*
John: *when he heard that voice, his expression changed from gentle (while he was talking to the baby) to angry*
He was squatting, while he talked to the boy, but immediately got up and turned his back to the boy and his face to Michael walking.
John: You still have the guts to come here after what you did?!?
Michael: Why? I, too, have to watch out for slaves, and especially the one you want to help escape)))
*looked at the boy*
Boy: *frightenedly turned his head away from him* (m): HOW DOES HE KNOW?????? OH, NO, IS IT OVER?! Well... I shouldn't have hoped for anything at all...
John: First of all, you shouldn't be here because you were assigned to section 3B, and this is the 5C, and secondly, cut the crap about running away running away and get out of here, because I'm still itching to shoot your insolent face! - he said with a very angry tone and expression.
Michael: It's mutual) . Okay, I'll leave, but only on one condition...
John: *interrupting* JUST GET OUT OF HERE!!!
Michael: Only if you tie him up, what I'm saying about running away is not nonsense, anyone would think so, considering how much you've allowed him all this week, he a miracle he didn't escape or you want me to draw the attention of all the guards around here to his loose hands, so that they too...
John: *interrupting* okay I'll tie him up, go away. - he said in a monotone tone, as if restraining himself from doing something to him.
Michael: I want to see it.
John: *turned to the boy, and squatted down, taking the rope from his pocket, tied his hands behind his back*
The boy felt that the ropes were applied without a clamp at all, so that he could easily release them himself when he wanted to.
John: That's it, now disappear.
Michael: All right, just make sure he doesn't disappear from your eyes, or who knows... Anything can happen today) - he replied with a smirk, and went.
John(m): What's that bastard up to?! He's got plans for Babe... He's always hanging around like he's waiting for the right moment to... *His musings were interrupted when he noticed the boy begin to tremble* (Started talking out loud): Don't be afraid, he won't do anything to you while I'm around.
Baby: *still trembling*
John: So it's not through fear. Are you cold?
Baby: *nodded*
John: It's warm enough here {since they are in the section for the most beautiful slaves, they always keep a warm temperature there}, so you shouldn't be cold *put his hand on his forehead*
Baby(m): Uhhh... I wanted to sleep anyway, and now I'm also freezing now hil.
John: It's strange, you don't have a fever... *touched my hand to his hands behind his back, which were still not really tied* (m): His hands are so icy... how can I keep him warm? He's still shivering so much...
(Out loud): I'll go away for a while and get you something to cover yourself with.
Then John stood up and began to walk, but as soon as he took his first step, he felt that he could not lift his leg because... The child wrapped both hands around his leg, freeing his hands from the rope.
John: *lowered his head, looking at the boy a little surprised; he could feel him shivering on his leg* Don't worry, I'll be back in no time, you won't even blink an eye, I'll be here.
But the boy still won't let go and looks at him with a pleading look as if to say: Don't go, don't leave me alone to be devoured by a wolf! 😢
The fact that he had just seen something that John had not noticed, there, around the corner, suddenly Michael appeared again, as if waiting for John to leave the boy alone.
Baby(m): before I wouldn't have minded if he did something to me, hoping that he would kill me, but everything really changed, for the FIRST time in all these years I wanted to live again and I stopped wishing for death... If this guard leaves now, all that tiny hope and belief in the best would instantly disappear from me, and everything would darken as before... I WILL NEVER LET HIM GO!!!!!
John: Calm down, I'll really be back soon, let go of my leg, you're shivering all over, I need to find something warm for you *leaned over to him, still standing, and, putting his hand on his arm to take them off his foot*
Baby: *hugged his leg even tighter and pressed his whole body and face against it, tilting his head down so you couldn't see his face*
John: AH?!? O-okay well I'm not going anywhere *started stroking his head*
Boy: *Feeling his strokes, he lifted head and pressed cheek against his knee, so that John could now see his frightened eyes*
John: *Continuing to stroke him*
Don't be afraid, I'm not lying, I really won't leave, if you let go of my leg, I'll be with you all the time, Baby Boy.
Boy: *releases John's leg*
John: *Took off his jacket and squatted down again to cover the baby with it*
Boy: *looks at him with a peculiar look*
John: Well, are you getting warmer?
Baby: *nodded, continuing to stare at him spellbound* (m): he... he's just... I'm already jealous of the human he's looking for, when he finds him, he'll shower him with love and affection and care, and I... who will shower me with that when he's gone?
I don't know if Mom and Dad are still alive... I don't have anyone right now, and he won't be with me all the time when he helps me escape from here... I... I'm just now starting to think about what I would do if I became free? {He had long ago stopped believing that he could ever be free again, but now that he realized it could actually happen to him, he was confused} Where will I go? Maybe somehow tell him that I am not mute from birth, then he will think that I am the "he person"?
But no, it would be so selfish of me if "that person" was out there suffering and waiting for him, and he'll stop looking for him because he'll think it's me... Okay, it's better not to think about it now. it is no longer known whether we will be to get out of here...
- Attention, only fifteen minutes left until the opening - said the commander, who had just come down from the same top floor as John when he was carrying the boy - using this time I want to warn you, there are rumors that in this city lives the "People's Avenger".
Some of the guards began to whisper among themselves, saying,"How is he? Is that him??? Really?!?"
Commander: Yes - yes - yes, this is really the one "People's Avenger" who thinks he is like this "Robin Hood", he steals slaves from the rich and gives them to the poor ahahah {It was a joke, he does something else}.
All the guards (except John) started laughing together with the commander.
Commander: So, I...
¤Some guard: we understand what you're getting at sir, don't worry, if he suddenly comes here, we won't let him steal a single slave, even the least valuable one.
Commander: Good, because if you don't, you'll be working eight months without pay.
¤Some guard: ALL?!?
Commander: all. *came out*
As soon as he came out, all the guards immediately began a heated discussion about what had happened.
- Who is this "People's Avenger" of yours anyway? - suddenly asked a ¤Some guard *Everyone has fallen silent*
- You really don't know who he is?" ●Another guard asked.
¤Some guard: no.
Another guard: dude, what planet do you live on?! EVERYONE in our country knows about him.
¤Some guard: I just recently moved here looking for an easy job...
●Another guard: so, do you plan to stay here?
¤Some guard: yeah.
●Another guard: Then you'll need to find out all the more about him. You're very lucky, because I just love telling urban legends )
Guard № 3: Oooh , well , It has begun *rolled eyes*
●Another guard: No, why? He really should know that.
Guard № 3: *sighed* okay, but then I'll go out for those 15 minutes and come back later, because you've told that story a thousand times already -_-
Five more guards: yeah, we'd rather go out, too.
A total of 28 guards remained, whose faces also showed that they wanted to leave, but they were strong enough to stay.
●Another guard: *addressing some guard* and so I begin, three years ago he made himself known for the first time. When, in 2019, one of the richest slave traders came to this city to sell slaves here once again, the People's Avenger approached his ship and beat all the guards who served this man. He then freed all the slaves and granted them their freedom!
¤Some guard: ALL OF THEM?! How many were there?????
●Another guard: somewhere around 2,000...
¤Some guard: F@CK!!! I cannot believe that he did not even keep one for himself, it is impossible, the temptation is too great, out of such a large number of people, there could definitely be the one who appealed to him in appearance, etc.
John and the baby, both sitting on the floor, listened to the story. Less than 10 minutes left until the perfect moment to escape. John wanted to escape a few minutes before the door opened and the sale began, because he knew that when it did, the guards would be too distracted in the first few minutes to notice anyone other than the rich and noble people coming inside the ship.
●Another guard: The man is a man who is not known for sure, but there are rumors that He does take some slaves for himself , but that's not the point right now. So, after this incident everyone knew about him, and popularly he was nicknamed "People's Avenger". He has been keeping all the slave-traders in fear ever since, because he doesn't just put a stick in their wheels by freeing their slaves, but also by KILLING the slave-traders themselves.
¤Some guard: WHAT WHAT WHAT?!?
●Another guard: rumor has it that he can kill the guards too, not just knock them out and that's it. I've never personally witnessed his raids on ships and slave markets, but those who have, say he's a very strong and scary man... So if he comes here today, we won't have to save our wages, we'll have to save our lives.
¤Some guard: stop scaring me!
●Another guard: I'm not scaring you, I'm just saying that those not many guards who survived the "People's Avenger" attack were left crippled for life and...
¤Some guard: I see you're restraining yourself from laughing! Stop talking about who he's killing. Tell me who he is, what he looks like, how old he is, and the most important question: Does he attack alone? Because I get that impression from your story, but I doubt it.
●Another guard: No, he does not attack alone, he has many of his people, but most of the work (killing) is done by the People's Avenger, and his people just ... just in case he needs help.
As for his appearance ... It is difficult to say, nobody knows what he looks like, because he always walks around with his face covered, I do not remember what people say about it, like a medical mask, or some kind of plastic mask on his whole face or ...
¤Some guard: *interrupting him, said* but isn't there anything at all known about his appearance? Maybe there is something that stands out, like a tattoo on his arm, a strange voice, skin color, etc.?
●Another guard: yes, there is, that's exactly what I wanted to say, don't interrupt!
¤Some guard: sorry, I won't.
●Another guard: his most distinctive feature of his appearance, which distinguishes him from the others, is his thick, slightly long 🔴red hair. Their length is such that they only slightly cover his ears. He is tall, but not too tall. Always wears a classic tuxedo. Also, those who have seen him say he looks 18-20 years old, but that's considering the fact that they tried to determine that without seeing his face.
¤Some guard: is that all that is known?
●Another guard: Yes... but no! How could I have forgotten the two most important things:
1) he has a very hot and bassy voice (according to the former slaves he freed);
2) and it is also said that he has a superpower.
¤Some guard: Seriously? We live in a ~modern society~ {I: really?!?}, but does anyone still think this is possible?
●Another guard: I same myself think it's already crazy, but most of those who have seen him say it's true, but actually the rumors about his superpowers are much less common than everything else about him, so I guess it's a myth.
¤Some guard: Did this myth say what his superpower was? I'm just curious.
●Another guard: And the funny thing is that those who spread this myth, did not even manage to come up with what it is a superpower, ahah just said that he has it and that's all.
Suddenly the ●Another guard phone rang.
●Another guard: Alo? What is it? What's going on out there?
Guard on the phone: *with an anxious and frightened voice* WE HAVE NO TIME LEFT AT ALL AND .... !!!
●Another guard: *interrupting* oh yeah I know, I know that there are less than 5 minutes left before the opening.
Guard on the phone: NO, IT'S NOT THAT! THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT!!!
●Another guard: Then what are you talking about? And why is your voice so shaky?
Guard on the phone: T - TURN ON THE SPEAKERPHONE QUICKLY SO THE REST OF US CAN HEAR!!!
●Another guard: *perplexed* umm... okay *turns on speakerphone*
Guard on the phone: HURRY UP GUYS, WE DON'T HAVE MUCH TIME LEFT!!! *in the background sounds of fighting, killing, and people screaming in pain* HE'S COMES HERE!!! HE ... HE IS OH-SO-STRONG AND FRIGHTENING IN HIS ANGER!!! *does a heavy sigh - haaaaahhhh, - most likely from a stab wound* RUN!!! RUN THROUGH THE BACK DOOR, YOU...!!!
●Another guard: *interrupting* even if it is him, we'll still stay here because...
Guard on the phone: *Heavy breathing again* - phaaaaaaaaaah - dummy, you can't even imagine what he's doing to our people right now!!! ALMOST ALL OF THEM ARE DEAD, AND HE... *Suddenly a shot of some kind of electrical charge was heard from somewhere... the connection was cut off*
All the guards in the room were horrified. Most of them started shouting, and only five of them were silent (John included):
- We need to get out of here!
- Maybe this is all some kind of prank?
- Do what you want, but I'm not gonna run out of here like a coward!!!
While the guards spoke animatedly about this, joy and hope appeared in the eyes of all the slaves.
John and Baby were very amazed at what was happening, but most of all the Little one.
Baby(m): we don't even have to run away?! Will the People's Avenger help us? But... he's on the side of the slaves, not the guards and... OH NO, THE GOOD GUARDIAN IS IN GREAT DANGER!!!!!! I DON'T THINK THAT MAN IS GOING TO FIND OUT AND DO POLLS LIKE "WHICH OF THE GUARDS IS REALLY THE GOOD ONE?" NO, HE WILL KILL THEM ALL!!!
John: *seeing the boy's excitement* don't worry, this man can only look scary, he's on your side, and he won't do you any harm.
Baby(m): BUT HE'S GOING TO HURT YOU!!! GET OUT OF HERE, PLEASE! WHY DOES HE STAY HERE?! WHY DOESN'T HE LEAVE?! GET OUT!!!!!
But John calmly continued to sit beside the boy, with his back against the wall.
Baby(m): I will never forgive myself if something happens to him, even if it is not my fault, I will still blame myself! *begins to slightly nudge John with his hands while still wearing jacket* [The boy was still covered by the man's jacket]
John: What is a baby? Why are you pushing me?
Baby(m): OH, IS IT REALLY THAT HARD TO UNDERSTAND?!((((((
John did not move at all from the boy's pushing, because that strange water had weakened his body and he did not have the strength to push the man harder.
John: Is it because you're afraid for me? Are you afraid he'll kill me?
Baby: *nodded many times, looking at him with anxious eyes*
John: Don't afraid , it's going to be okay, Kid *smiled slightly and stroked his head again*
Baby(m): WHY IS HE SO SURE OF THAT?!?
Suddenly the front doors opened slowly... All the guards, except John, became alert and drew their weapons in preparation for battle. But what was their surprise when they saw the rich and noble men coming through the doors, just as they had planned...
There were many richly dressed people, and they kept coming and coming. Most of them were men.
Watching them, all the guards began to calm down. They seemed to have forgotten about everything, and began to approach these people, asking them to look at the "goods".
When the flow of people coming in stopped, and it seemed that that was it, suddenly a few minutes later, after people had stopped coming in and there was not a soul near the entrance, a guy in a tuxedo with 🔴red hair came in through the doors...

To be continued...