1 ||

"Are you Y/N?"

You follow the voice up from the saddle you were polishing up to a fantastically strong jawline containing a smart mouth. Belonging to none other than...

"Rick O'Connell," you declare, putting the saddle on the blanket you were just sitting on and standing up to meet him. You put your hands on your hips. "The ladies in Cairo warned me about you. What do you want?"

The tall and rather handsome man puts his hands up in surrender, a smile playing on his lips. "Just wanna talk to you, Y/N. You are her, aren't you?"

"Yes, I am. What do you want to talk about?" you ask. You really couldn't be bothered to be flirted with right now: as the only woman in this expedition across the Ancient Egyptian pyramids since your friend Evelyn was called back to Cairo, you'd been hit on more times than you had pairs of boots; you wore the exact same type of clothing as the men and rode a horse as well as any of them, it's just the fact you have boobs that everyone is floored by, and you've had enough.

"Right, so, I've found this thing out," Rick begins, his soft lips growing into an eager smile. "Well, actually, Evelyn found it before she went back, and she told me you were the only one trustworthy enough to help with it. I've found a trail that leads underground, to potentially the grave of..." he looks to the left and right to make sure nobody else is paying attention, then leans in and whispers dramatically, "...Ahkmenrah."

Your spine immediately tingles with excitement, and you stand up straighter. "Are you serious?" you whisper back hurriedly. "Ahkmenrah? The pharaoh given the throne at only seventeen years old - the pharaoh with the immortality trinket?"
"Well, we still don't know what it might be, but every single local we've heard from has said it holds immortality within it," Rick replies. "And I want us to sneak off and find it together."

You're so floored by the possibility of finding one of the most sought-after and mysterious Ancient Egyptian artifacts of all, that you allow yourself a few moments to process what your cohort just said. Together?

"Look, Rick," you begin, bending down to pick your saddle back up and continuing to spit-shine it, "you're a nice lad, and I'm sure once you get back from this expedition there will be dozens of willing women desperate to be near you - but that isn't me. So be on your way, and please don't try to pick me up again. Thank you."

You turn your attention back to the saddle, and despite Rick not leaving his place opposite you, you finish cleaning it and walk over to your horse to fix it back on. He follows you.
You raise an eyebrow; wow, the girls back in Cairo were right, he is persistent. "Is there anything else I need to tell you?"
"That you'll come with me, Y/N, think about it!" he encourages, to your eye-rolling; "Adventure, riches - no more sexism! I will be the only living man you need to watch out for, and I am a decent citizen who thinks women are equal to men. Ask Evelyn if you don't believe me."

You roll your eyes again, securing the saddle and stroking your horse's nose. You have to admit, Evelyn and you had spent a night or two judging all the men in this group, and Rick O'Connell was always near the top of the hunks who were actually good people. And something new... you never could back down from a mystery. That's why you fought so hard to be here; to chase down mysteries and perhaps even become one.

You turn to look Rick up and down, your brow still raised. Your hands rise to your hips, glancing at his own, and for a brief moment you imagine them pressed together sans clothing. But you swat it out of your mind: the golden rule, no matter how long you've gone without sex, you never do it with your coworkers.

And that seems to decide it for you.
You stick out your hand. "Consider me in for the long haul, O'Connell," you declare, and Rick grins so widely his front teeth poke out. He spits on his palm and slaps it into yours. "Glad to have you on the team. So," he says, taking his hand out of yours and pressing it to his other, "when shall we leave camp? We need to do it when nobody suspects."

You bite your lip in thought, and glance over at the cart filled with beverages. Ding ding... Lightbulb.
You point at the cart, then at the men by the campfire. "When it turns dark, replace their drinks with more liquored ones. When night falls... it's too easy."

Now it's Rick's turn to look you up and down, an impressive expression on his shovel-shaped face. "You're such a cool cowboy. Just like me."