6 ||

"It's nearly sunrise," you remark for the first time in decades, as you and Rick sit on one of the benches in the museum staring out the window. The golden yellow of the sun isn't here yet, but it soon will be, and thus will start the process of painless death for another day. Once again, how odd it is to know you'll never see a bright blue sky.

Rick's hand squeezes yours, and you turk your head to look at him. He stares out the rectangular window wearing an expression you want to examine more - but you're out of time, again. It's time to go back.

But where? You both don't want to hole up with Ahkmenrah again, despite how polite and charming he is. No, you want your own space, even if that space is to be occupied while you're dead; you can't hide in plain sight, or else the staff will see you, and you can't leave the museum otherwise you'll be permanently dead. So where indeed?

"You know," Rick says, turning his head so he's watching you watching him, "I've been thinking."
"Jesus, don't do that too often, you'll hurt yourself."
"Very funny," he smirks. "No, but seriously, I've been thinking, and I think we should just test the limits. Be anywhere in the museum when the sun comes up, and find out if we've been moved when night falls. It doesn't matter where we are; it just matters that we're together."

A smile slowly breaks through onto your face. "I remember what the women said about you, in Egypt, before we got into this. The ladies man, a wild horse, could never be locked down. Well, would you look at this - it appears you're clinging to me like a limpet. It seems that I have locked you down."

He rolls his eyes. "I'll bet you fell first."
"Nahhhhhhhh."
"Yup, yup, I'll bet anything."

Your smile once again turns into a grin as you squeeze his hand and, before dragging him off into the unknown, say, "Bet your love, cowboy."

~ THE END ~