THE DAY AFTER

|7|

Was it something I said? The minion part? This is why I'm never snarky or witty in front of strangers, and here I was, thinking that my LITERAL ARCH-NEMESIS wouldn't mind me being sarcastic.

As I sit all alone in the now way-too-quiet library, all I can do is think about James. Why is it okay for him to say stuff like that, but not me? I guess I'll never know.

I get up from the chair I was sat on, picked up the physics guide on the table and kept it back in it's place. As I walk out of the library, shut the door, reach my car and start driving, all I can think of is my encounter with James. Did I upset him? And why the heck do I even care if I did. Aah.

I didn't even get the chance to ask him what he was doing at the school library this late at night or how he even got in. Maybe he has an extra set of library keys too, but how did he even manage to get his hands on them? I had to literally beg Mrs. Walls for a year straight until the poor lady finally gave in. James definitely doesn't look like the begging type. That would be too hard a blow at his ALARIE name. Then how?

Don't even get me started on the 'WHY' part of the question 'cause I've got way too many theories for that. Was he hiding a secret stash of drugs that he sells to the freshmen and the sophomores? Or was he there too steal something? But that library doesn't have a single thing worth sealing if you're someone who doesn't live to breathe books.

Before I could contemplate any more on this, I'm already parking the car in our driveway. I pick up my backpack from the passenger seat and sneak into my room through the window.

I'm definitely not getting any sleep tonight. Before throwing myself in my super-fluffy blanket, I stand by my desk and tear a small piece of paper from a rough notebook. I pick up a black pen from my pen stand and write down the name of the book with a little message on the back before putting it in my backpack and trying to get some much needed sleep.

We're even now.

"Wake up Tasha. C'mon wake the fuck up, the bus will be here in 15 minutes."

WHAT. 15 minutes!!!

I wake up with a jolt and hazed eyes, only to spot Felicity leaning on the door with an apron on and a wooden spatula in the other hand. It scares me sometimes, how much she resembles our latino mom. The same soft and excited eyes but alert stance, with a blaring confidence. We may not have our mother's strong Argentinian accent, but she's taught us well. From self-defence to the best dishes ever, she was the epitome of 'I can do everything on my own!'

"Morning. And you're not allowed to curse, Marie. Now let me get ready. I'll be there in five."

"AS if you don't curse enough for the both of us!"

"Fair enough."

I quickly rush into the bathroom when I hear Marie shout at the top of her lungs.

"Una perra!!" (such a bitch)

"I heard you, pequeña zorra!" (little vixen)

"I made us empandas for lunch by the way."

Oh how much I love this litte zorra.

Walking these noisy hallways has never been so silent before. The chaos in my mind is so loud, that the chatterings outside dim down to a slight murmur. Questions buzzing in my head, faster than the speed of light. Not literally, but it feels like it.

I don't even realize when I reach our homeroom, when Cassie starts bickering about some recent gossip, or when I enter my literature class. I'm still in a haze when I bump into something hard.

"PUTA MIERDA!!", I whisper under my breath. (fucking shit)

"Watch it Jones, or I might say things you won't be able to decipher." The hard tone of his voice forces me to look up. The death stare he's giving me is not one that I'm used to. There's a hidden emotion behind it. Anger. And maybe even hurt.

"Sorry"

"Everything hunky-dory Jones? Look who woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. Ms. Natasha Anne Jones apologizing. This date shall be remembered in the coming centuries and more."
(hunky- dory is british slang for 'everything good/cool')

His mocking tone and ridiculous laugh bring me back to my senses. Why should I feel bad for anything at all? He was the one that stormed off and then had the audacity to make fun of me along with his stupid gang of baboons. Nah. Definitely not happening.

"Just FUCK OFF Alarie. You don't wanna get on my bad side today." I have no idea how I get the courage to curse at him publically, when I can't even confront anyone even if the world's fate was dependent on it. He sure does bring out the very worst in me.

He giggles and then speaks with that stupid mouth of his, "Oooh, she cusses again! No more heart attacks for today Jones, I would like to not faint from the shock of all this"

"I would definitely love to see that though"

Saying this I move past him, shoving his shoulder in the process, and move towards my seat. I hear his cold laughter and then his quick footsteps, as he takes the seat behind me. GREAT. Taking advantage of the opportunity, I take out the slip from the front of my backpack, turn a file 180°, slam the slip of paper on the desk and quickly turn around. My heart beats faster than it seems humanly possible, and I wait for a reply. A snarky comment seems the most legible.

As I try to glance back, I hear a scoff and see him crumble the piece of paper, only to throw it near his chair.

WOW. That hurt. What was I even expecting, a 'thank-you'?
Before I can mentally curse him more than I even have, our teacher arrives and I divert my attention from James to some play Shakespeare wrote. What are we even talking about?

A/N: Do vote the story if you liked it, would mean the world to me :)