MAKE A WISH

THIS IS NOT A DRILL. I REPEAT, THIS IS NOT A DRILL. I have indeed posted a chapter at the speed of light!!!!!!
Thankuuu all the readers for making my story reach 500 reads, it means the moon and the stars to me ♡♡♡

|13|

His POV:

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY?"

Before I can stop myself, I ask
"How did you know it was my birthday?"

She gives me a sheepish smile. "Ahh. Well I might have heard your goons talking about a party and I might have dug into the student records to confirm it all. Though I'm sure it was all legal. I guess."

"And you remebered the chocolate cake part of the game from days ago?" I ask, not sure if what was in front of my eyes was real.

"Well, I'm not the topper for nothing" she says, shrugging her shoulders like it's no big deal.

IT IS.

The world might think that the Alarie kid lives a luxurious life with everything one dreams for. Alas, that could not be anywhere near the truth. The truth is, i haven't had a birthday for almost 5 years now. After my mom died, my dad tried. He really did. But every year while getting a cake from a store that she would normally bake or setting balloons instead of the streamers and banners she placed on walls, killed him.

Year after year, memories of what passed and wishing of what could've, drowned him in his own mind. After a few years, he just stopped trying. And I stopped caring for my birthday, even when it used to be my favourite day when mom was still around.

Right at this moment, as I stood in front of my very clumpsy rival who also happens to be the only person who sees me for myself, I thought it impossible to fall for someone's soul.

All the Jane Austen's and Bronte's amplify that feeling of falling for someone as you look into their deep ocean eyes or silky raven hair, but here I was. Falling for her soul, the very core of hers that set me ablaze with warmth and that of home.

I might never admit this to her, not yet anyways, but losing my first friend was never easy for me. We didn't have the same social status, he said. You can't hang around with people like that, he said. You need to be around people like you, which translates to the kids of his business partners who happen to be the last people I would ever want to pal up with. Quite contrary to what my father always believed in, Natasha might be one of the only people who happens to be like me.

Seeking academic validation, to prove her worth.

And as I stand here with my alleged rival, a birthday cake in her hands, i wish that I could stay here forever. In this moment where I feel safe, I feel important. I finally feel like someone who matters.

"-Earth to James?"

"Bloody hell Asha, you've certainly outdone yourself this time." I say mockingly, even though this is the happiest I've felt in so long.

"Don't test me" she says with a huff as she puts down the cake on the table next to me, the wax melting off of the candles.

I take the knife out of her hand, sit down and gesture her to do the same. When she sits down, I slightly push the cake in between us and say, "Make a wish."

"What?", she asks while laughing. "That's ridiculous, shouldn't you be the one making the wish?"

"Yes Bonnie but it's my birthday, and I say you make a wish too."

She chuckles lightly, resting her head onto her outstretched hand.
"Alright then. Together?"

I nod. "Together"

She closes her eyes and I replicate her actions. What do I wish for?

Dear fates that write my destiny,
I know there isn't much probability of my wish making it real, but I would like to try it anyways. I wish to stay in this moment longer, just us, me and her. I wish to spend my birthday with my favourite person.
Please.

I open my eyes and find her hands clasped together with eyes shut tight. At this moment, a realization strikes me. Something that hits me like a tidal wave and catches me off guard.

I might be falling for Natasha Anne Jones harder than I'd anticipated.

A/N: Just a smaller filler chapter to prepare y'all for what's coming next, hehe.

Do vote the chapter if you liked it. Would mean the world to me :))