THE VENGEFUL MASK

Blackness was the only thing visible in sight; silence was a melody that never broke. Suddenly, something broke this silence, sadness. Someone was in this place. It was a man. He looked pretty old, and he was indeed in his thirties. He had formal clothes with a tie. He undoubtedly had trouble seeing things because he wore glasses. His sadness was heard from miles away, but how far was that in this black space? It didn't look like he noticed where he was because he was focusing on what happened before he died, it took him time, but after 10 minutes, he did something that no one in his situation could, he remembered.

His life was great, and he had nothing that would scare or sadden him. Until one day. that day, his wife and his daughter were going to see a movie. Her wife, Clarissa, wasn't a fan of going to theaters to see movies. Her daughter, Emily, was the opposite of her mother when it came to theaters. Emily loved to see movies in a theater because of the giant screen there, and of course, because of the popcorn. It would take 5 minutes for them to go there using a car. But when they were almost at the theater, a catastrophe happened. Another vehicle smashed into the right side of Clarissa's car, smashing her skull and damaging it immensely. It caused the death of the drivers. The only survivor was Emily, who wasn't injured physically but seeing her mother's death affected her mentally.

After burying the body, they returned to the graveyard because Emily wanted to say her final goodbyes to her mother. After that, everything was blurry, but he did remember something else. He recalled that a tall man with a bandage on his left eye caused her daughter's death. He did remember one last thing before he appeared here.

***

He started to lose himself, first his wife and now his daughter?! He smashed the table with his fist out of frustration, "when I find this bastard, I swear I will kill him!" he thought. It's been five days now since he last slept. He looked everywhere, asked everyone, and one day, he found him, at least he thought so. He became paranoid. He felt that, at any moment, HE would come and take him out as HE did with his daughter, so to prevent his demise, he takes a knife everywhere he goes. He started to have illusions. In the corner of his eyes, he could see someone watching him. At this point, he didn't know if everything he saw was real or not. He was thinking again and again and again. And then, he found an answer to a question that he had wanted an answer to for a long time "should I go there?", "Yes," he thought. The only thing that stopped him from going to HIS house was that he still had sanity left, but it was a long time since he lost it. He grabbed his knife tightly in his hand and opened the house door. He memorized the exact location of HIS house. Many of his family members were worried about him since he would usually call them at least once every day, but this week they hadn't received any news from him. But it didn't matter to him right now. He walked closer and closer to HIS house, it did look abandoned, but deep down, he knew it was not the case.

He knocked on the door. He had the idea to attack HIM right after HE opened the door. He waited for about a minute before hearing the door creaking, but he couldn't remember anything else. Everything was blurry after that.

***

He remembered most of his life, but some of the points were still blurry, and that's when he noticed it. He looked around him, and all he could see was darkness. He was uncertain about how he got here. He walked around the place but never knew if he had moved to a new area or just walked in circles.

He decided to sit on the floor, waiting for something to happen...

Minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years, how many times as passed since he sat there? He didn't know. Nothing changed around him. All was still dark, too dark to see. But one day, the silence broke as something was heard from the shadows. It was footsteps. They were coming from nowhere and everywhere at the same time. He looked behind him and finally, after ages, he saw another human. Or at least what was left of one. It looked like a relatively young boy. He had a mark on his neck. He didn't know what it was neither did the boy. It asked him where he was and how he got here. He told the boy that, just like him, he had no clue on where he was and how he even got here. He asked the boy a rather interesting question. What was the last person he saw before seemingly appearing here? The boy then describes a very tall man. He had black hair and wore a black costume that you would wear during a sophisticated event. He also wore a white mask with a smiling face. The description of that man was very similar to HIM. He then looked at the boy and began to talk furthermore. He asked the boy if he wanted to take revenge on the man. The boy nodded. It was great for the man since, if it were indeed the same man that ruined their "life". He would finally take care of him for good. They talked for a good while. They didn't know how much time had passed since there was nothing to tell the time, no watch, and no sun or moon to know. So they decided to walk in a straight line, it wasn't the best idea they had, but it was an idea nonetheless. That's when they noticed it. Light! It was a bright white-colored light, they started running towards the light, and when they reached it, they could see nothing, just blank, when their visions began to come back. They noticed that they were not in this weird black space anymore. But instead, they were in a room. There were only a couch and a mirror, but something else was there. It seemed like someone was watching them. They couldn't tell where it was coming from, but they were sure that this presence was near the mirror. They didn't pay intention to it, though. Since they were free, they looked around. They heard something coming upstairs. It was footsteps...